Converting a KG 5.5 to center use

98_1LE

I want to use a KG 5.5 for a center to compliment three other 5.5's and a pair of 5.2's. Would it be feasable to replace the front panel in the enclosure so the the arrangement would be Woofer-Horn-Woofer, with the horn below center line and a pair of smaller ports above the horn (two 2.125" diameter ports that are each 3.125" in length). How are these put together, and would I destroy it trying to do this?

Thanks

as long as the internal volume and the ports are the same, then you should have no problems...

another thing to keep note of is that ports need to be (i think) at least its diameter away from any walls on the inside, and probably 1 diameter away from any other ports.

I did a similar project with a Quartet. I don't exactly know how the KG5.5s are put together, but the Quartet was built like a tank and posed several challenges. I would suggest removing all the drivers and inspecting the cabinet construction. I ended up cutting out the old motor board (where the driver's mount), and reattaching a new one to the front of the cabinet. Unless you are making radical design changes, minor changes in the volume are of no concern (heck, none of the componenents have less than a 10% spec tolerance anyway). I have been using the Quartet for 2 years now, and the cabinet maker that I had fabricate the new motorboard is FINALLY getting around to making its twin. I will post pictures when I get it (next week). If you search the archives, I have posted details of MY project.

As an alternative design, I have been thinking about mounting the midrange and tweeter in their own cabinet, and leaving the woofer in original cabinet on its side (in this case, I WOULD consider replacing the volume void created by the missing mid/tweeter). The woofer cabinet would couple to the floor underneath the screen, and the midrange/tweeter could sit on top. I feel there are many advantages to this approach.

Update:

I looked on eBay to see exactly what a KG5.5 looks like and it seems to be similar to the KLF-10/20/30 series. I think HornEd was the first to modify a KLF-30. You may want to search the archives for his posts. They may be more applicable.

98_1LE,

What you are proposing sounds fine. You didn't say this explicitly, but you do want to rotate the horn 90 degrees to keep it oriented like it was before you rotated the cabinet to its side. You can also consider moving the ports to the rear depending on your placement of the enclosure. I didn't double-check your new port dimensions, but if you used the right equations (and took the correct measurements) then what you are ultimately talking about doing is fine. Look for some of HornEd old posts. Be sure to use 3/4" MDF (or better yet 1" MDF) for the new front motorboard. BTW, I haven't taken apart any exisiting Klipsch cabinets so I don't know what that part of it.

Thats a lot everyone!!! Thats what I was looking for.

STL, you have done the math on those port dimensions; I got them from one of your old posts. I have also found some good HornEd posts.

Need to think this through some more. Not sure if I want to build a new enclosure or mod the 5.5 with a new motorboard.

As promised, here are some pictures (~400k/pic) View1, View2, View3 (Sorry, kind of blurry) of the second Quartet that I have modified... prior to completion. It may give some of you insight to how "I" approached this problem. I paid $460 for the Quartets (delivered) and $260 for the motorboards ($130 a piece) to the cabinet maker. Don't stand for $3.50 cups of coffee or $610 Academies 2.gif !

----------------

On 1/27/2004 8:59:27 PM 98_1LE wrote:

Thats a lot everyone!!! Thats what I was looking for.

STL, you have done the math on those port dimensions; I got them from one of your old posts. I have also found some good HornEd posts.

Need to think this through some more. Not sure if I want to build a new enclosure or mod the 5.5 with a new motorboard.

----------------

By all means, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you'll find that building a completely new cabinet will be a far more daunting task than you believe.

On 1/31/2004 6:28:25 PM Griffinator wrote:

By all means, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you'll find that building a completely new cabinet will be a
far
more daunting task than you believe.

I concur. Furthermore, the task of building a brand new enclosure becomes even more difficult if you do any angles (like the motorboard of my center channel).

----------------

On 1/31/2004 6:28:25 PM Griffinator wrote:

By all means, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you'll find that building a completely new cabinet will be a
far
more daunting task than you believe.

----------------

Even if you happen to HAVE all the right tools at your disposal, you are indeed correct. It is much easier to make a modification or start with a prefab speaker cabinet kit (luckily, there are many out there). Building cabinetry is an art, that takes considerable talent, practice, and several goofs along the way 14.gif.