Samsung DVD-HD931 or Bravo D1???

jagangjee

Looking to buy one of these soon, and I cannot decide which one to get. I have not heard anything bad about the D1, only that the D2 is coming out in Feb and the D3 which is coming out in April/June. But I have heard mixed reviews on the HD931. Pice is not much of an issue as both players are under the $300.

This unit will be connected to a Sony Grand Wega XBR and I am unsure to which one to purchase. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, anyone know where to get Monster Cables at a reasonable price? These DVI cords are expensive!!

TIA,

JAG

for your dvi cable try www.pacificcable.com

best prices i have found and good selection.

i have been considering the bravo for my sony wxga projector. by setting the output of the dvd player to 720p, i can set the pj to 'through' mode and bypass the internal video processor and have 1-to-1 pixel mapping...

haven't pulled the trigger yet though.

avman.

Hey guys!

I just purchased the Samsung last night... Looks great to me! I have never owned a DVD until now (Kinda odd seing I have all the other toys) and am impressed with the features and ease of use. I was looking for a DVI DVD and liked the upconversion on this unit to go with my forthcoming (Backorder) 42" Sony LCD RPTV. Bang for the buck... can't beat it!

OnMedic..congrats...

I, too, have been singing the praises about the Samsung. I feel it is one of the top DVD's to consider at any price. Just look at the specs and reviews.

I have had no probelems with it, the DVI is a "video only" cable you will still need a optical out, to get full sound in your prefered system 7.1 DD etc., etc.

Do not confuse just because it is at best buy at 299., it is somehow a cheap unit and unworthy of great performance too.

If you read what it will do I think you will be hard pressed to beat it technology wise. Movies are just fantastic on it. Even music which usually sucks on a dvd player is breathtaking.

Try it out. If it does not work for you, take it back to Best Buys no harm done. My hunch is you will keep it.

Well I just pulled the trigger...

Went with the Samsung DVD-HD931, based on everyone experience it seems to be worth a shot. If I am not happy with it in a month or two I will probably switch to the Bravo D2 or D3 when/if it comes out. Until then for $244.80 shipped, I couldn't pass it up!

Thanks to all! I will let you know my thoughts when it arrives. Thanks IndyKlipschFan for the suggestion!

DD,

Thanks for the fyi! I did read many of them and that is partially why I initially posted my question. I do have some reservations, but all in all I think it will be a great player for the price, dispite the mixed reviews. If I am not satisfied with the unit I will get the Bravo D2 when it come out next month. Most people seem to be very, very pleased with the unit.

Thanks,

JAG

The issue with the 931 is that it stretches 4x3 DVDs to 16x9 through the DVI output. So you either need to live with the stretch, or connect the 931 to your display with component video cables *in addition* to a DVI cable. A waste of an input, in my opinion.

I went with the D1 instead, and it has its own quirks. The tray will open and close again right away, leaving me a split second to load or unload a disc. It is slow to load DVDs chock-ful of mp3s or other data, and sometimes when it loads a dvd it'll have choppy playback, requiring a powerdown of the unit (completely off - not on standby) for a good 15-30 seconds, and then it'll function properly. Also, sometimes at layer changes it'll hang for several seconds, and then when it picks up again, it'll skip to the next chapter instead of picking up right at the layer change. Rewinding and going forward again usually fixes it. I don't know if the 931 has issues like these.

I wouldn't get the 931 *or* the D1. If you can afford it, get the new Pioneer DVI player (I forget the model #), or wait for the D2 (next gen of the D1), or the D3 (which will also play WM9 HD-res files).

Rick

P.S. Don't buy Monster DVI cables (or fiberoptic or digital coax). It's digital not analog! You're tossing your money down the drain spending ~$80 on a DVI cable! www.pacificable.com

----------------

On 1/20/2004 10:09:07 AM jagangjee wrote:

Looking to buy one of these soon, and I cannot decide which one to get. I have not heard anything bad about the D1, only that the D2 is coming out in Feb and the D3 which is coming out in April/June. But I have heard mixed reviews on the HD931. Pice is not much of an issue as both players are under the $300.

This unit will be connected to a Sony Grand Wega XBR and I am unsure to which one to purchase. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, anyone know where to get Monster Cables at a reasonable price? These DVI cords are expensive!!

TIA,

JAG

----------------

You said...

The issue with the 931 is that it stretches 4x3 DVDs to 16x9 through the DVI output. So you either need to live with the stretch, or connect the 931 to your display with component video cables *in addition* to a DVI cable. A waste of an input, in my opinion.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

My response...

Nope, not true, and again my problem with boards or people giving out false info. You can watch in either mode. The picture is flawless. Standard or Stretched mode (movie size) with the DVI output.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

You said...

I went with the D1 instead, and it has its own quirks. The tray will open and close again right away, leaving me a split second to load or unload a disc. It is slow to load DVDs chock-ful of mp3s or other data, and sometimes when it loads a dvd it'll have choppy playback, requiring a powerdown of the unit (completely off - not on standby) for a good 15-30 seconds, and then it'll function properly. Also, sometimes at layer changes it'll hang for several seconds, and then when it picks up again, it'll skip to the next chapter instead of picking up right at the layer change. Rewinding and going forward again usually fixes it. I don't know if the 931 has issues like these.

My response...

No it does not, and this seems like a lot of hassles...On the D 1

===========================================================

You said..

I wouldn't get the 931 *or* the D1. If you can afford it, get the new Pioneer DVI player (I forget the model #), or wait for the D2 (next gen of the D1), or the D3 (which will also play WM9 HD-res files).

=================================================================

My Response...

Do you work for D?? You seem to have such loyalty to a machine you have and even yourself said has hassles... This amazes me? You then HYPE a unit... unproven... coming out in D2 or D3, too, as even better? How do you know it is? Or how will it work any better than the one you have?

The Samsung DVD 931 is a great machine. Perhaps you should learn some info on it before you make such blanket and false comments. (Sorry, not a personal attack on you, just an attack on your facts!)

Wow.. and thus *my* problem with boards. People like you who jump to such huge conclusions as to sound like you're still in high school. All I did was offer *my own* facts from the 931 I bought and returned (nigh on to 6 months ago, so perhaps they've upgraded firmware since then?) And yes, you *did* make a personal attack.

And dumbest of dumb comments, to suggest I work for V Inc (which makes the Bravo, not "D") after I lambasted them for poor workmanship on the D1? Isn't that trying to offer information that's neither provable nor unprovable? Try practicing what you preach.

The original poster asked for opinions and recommendations, and I gave mine.

Get a life, if there's one to be had in Indy.

Aahh... just read your signature. Wow, didn't realize that a 931 owner can be so rabidly defensive. I'm pleased as punch with the quality of the image my D1 puts out but am objective enough to point out its limitations. Perhaps a quick check in your mirror might help you to see who your biggest problem is in life. It's just a friggin' DVD player. I have plenty of experience on other forums where the individuals are a lot more knowledgeable than I'm sure even you are, so having that ~800 post number on yours doesn't give you license to just bash someone else anytime you feel like it and say "Oh, not a personal attack, though." Again, I reiterate: get a life.

----------------

On 1/21/2004 3:56:33 PM IndyKlipschFan wrote:

You said...

-------------------------------------------------------------------

My response...

Nope, not true, and again my problem with boards or people giving out false info. You can watch in either mode. The picture is flawless. Standard or Stretched mode (movie size) with the DVI output.

You said...

My response...

No it does not, and this seems like a lot of hassles...On the D 1

===========================================================

You said..

=================================================================

My Response...

Do you work for D?? You seem to have such loyalty to a machine you have and even yourself said has hassles... This amazes me? You then HYPE a unit... unproven... coming out in D2 or D3, too, as even better? How do you know it is? Or how will it work any better than the one you have?

The Samsung DVD 931 is a great machine. Perhaps you should learn some info on it before you make such blanket and false comments. (Sorry, not a personal attack on you, just an attack on your facts!)

----------------

You said

Wow.. and thus *my* problem with boards. People like you who jump to such huge conclusions as to sound like you're still in high school. All I did was offer *my own* facts from the 931 I bought and returned (nigh on to 6 months ago, so perhaps they've upgraded firmware since then?) And yes, you *did* make a personal attack.

My Response,

I actually said it was your facts and not you. I suggest you re-read it. People like me who jump to such huge conclusions as to sound like I am still in HS..LOL.. No, HS was just a stepping stone, I assure you, a long time ago. My problem comes because your own facts seem baseless because the manual tells you how to correct any problems you might of had. Yes, you can "stretch it" to the movie mode (If it was recorded before in regular big screen size, or watch it stretched out like you suggest in movie mode too.) Either way, with the DVI cord.

Your only way out of this is saying Samsung "may have upgraded the firmware since this time" as well. I suggest if you had a problem with the unit you bought, why did you not get another one to re test your theory or perhaps your TV had override features that did not work with the Samsung.

Facts are facts., Last time I checked...2+2=4. So comparing a unit that is for sale today to something that may have been before a different model or even giving you the benefit of doubt different firmware back then, is still wrong. That's like comparing a car made in 1985 that is a certain make and model and saying a different car today still has the pasts flaws on the new model in 2004.

===============================================================

You said

And dumbest of dumb comments, to suggest I work for V Inc (which makes the Bravo, not "D") after I lambasted them for poor workmanship on the D1? Isn't that trying to offer information that's neither provable nor unprovable? Try practicing what you preach.

My response.

Well, you said he should wait for the newer units and even though the one you tried has all these quirks why would you do that? You did lambaste them for inferior products thus my amazement you suggested he hold out for future models.

===============================================================

You said...

The original poster asked for opinions and recommendations, and I gave mine.

My Response

I gave my response on the Samsung unit, HD 931 DVD unit, because I have it, and can back up from use of its merit. I never commented on the other unit other than to agree with you of it's quirkiness and problems...from your post.

==============================================================

Get a life, if there's one to be had in Indy.

My Response.

LOL, I have a wonderful life. I assure you the one here in Indy is just as great too. (If it is something else we look to experience we travel and do it too.) That last statement is a personal attack on me. I do not have the time to argue with a new kid on the BB-block that does not know what he is talking about, or probably ever lived or visited here in Indy to know. You show your great ignorance here, especially as a 31 yr old adult living in Thousand Oaks, CA.

In several years on this board, I have met a lot of great people who share ideas, agree to disagree sometimes, and at the end of the day still go home friends. I do not think I have ever attacked anyone personally, and I will not start now. I do suggest you re read this post and the other posts. When you comprehend that it is about the facts, you might choose to relax and see that is what I was trying to clear up. Facts are...Your still wrong on the Samsung.

=========================================================

for those reading this rant he added this after his origional post...

He said

Perhaps a quick check in your mirror might help you to see who your biggest problem is in life. It's just a friggin' DVD player. I have plenty of experience on other forums where the individuals are a lot more knowledgeable than I'm sure even you are, so having that ~800 post number on yours doesn't give you license to just bash someone else anytime you feel like it and say "Oh, not a personal attack, though." Again, I reiterate: get a life.

So my response

I do not have a big problem with myself or anyone else in my life. It IS only a friggin' DVD player, and stupid to get this mad at you but again your stating operational facts like it is true or still true, and it is not. I also have many years of forum experience on other sites as well. I never said or claimed to be all knowlegeable. I am sure a lot of people are much more informed than I am on various topics as well, especially about audio and audio physics. My 800 posts comes from helping people on here not being a jerk. I suggest you do the same.

I never bashed you until that last paragraph, I just corrected your mistakes. Mainly so people do not pass on false information thinking it is true. Perhaps you do not like being told your wrong or telling the truth. Seems to be a lot of that going on in California these days.

I have the samsung 931. I am a little annoyed as my Philips TV cannot support an upscaled 1080i image over the DVI input. I can only use this player in 480P mode. I am interested to see if there is a huge difference with 1080i upscaled.

Still for 931, I did a little comparision with a regular progressive scan DVD player.

Some observations from my TV:

1. Picture over DVI looks so much brighter and more richer colors. The good thing is there was not over saturation in the colors, so to me, it was a pleasing difference.

2. Upscaling does not work over component cables.. a sore spot with me and a major weakness since my stupid TV can't figure out what the image is when the samsung is set to upscale to 1080i.

3. Remote control really stinks with not a separate fast forward button. You have to hold down the chapter skip button to fast forward. Very shortsighted and dumb if you ask me.

4. No button on the remote to change the resolution..from 480p to 720p to 1080i.

5. Some stupid philips tvs will not allow you to try out the 1080i images because according to Philips Tech Support, its not native 1080i so the TV has problems figuring it out. (lame excuse).

Other than that.. images over DVI rock. very nice color.

Okay, so I have been reading a little over at avsforum. Could some please explain to me the terminology of "Black Crush"? They talk about this extensivly on the forum and I am not sure if I understand exactly what it is. I think I have an idea, but would like a little more clarification if possible.

TIA!

JAG

Closest I get to it, in digital TV's, is the "unableness" LOL if that is a word, to differentiate really really dark blacks. It sometimes makes them look like squares or pixels somewhere between black & grey.

BTW, I have seen this on DLP, LCD, and many 20K + dollar HDTV's.

A really high end non digital tv seems to not have as much problem, certain models better or worse than others.

Maybe Gil can explain it more scientifically.

Well, I received the HD931 Thursday of last week, picked the TV up on Friday and connected everything to it this weekend. I will say, I am VERY impressed! The functionality of it is very easy to use, the conversion to 1080i is beautiful, IMO it is clearer, crisper and better than HD. Watched Lion King and Nemo and they both looked beautiful!

I think the blacks are a little dark at times, but I also think it has to do with the amount of light the is coming into the room. Little calibrating and configuration should do the trick.

Thanks to Indy for turning me on to this unit...he said it best, "Don't be fooled by its price". It is truly an awesome DVD player! And you really can't go wrong for the price!

When the D2 or D3 come out, I may give them a try as well, but for now it is hands down the DVD-HD931!

Wish I had seen this one before the triggers were pulled.

Samsung has an absolutely horrible track record with tray and laser stability. You would be absolutely astounded at the number of Samsung DVD players and integrated DVD/amplifier units coming back inside of 2 years with either tray failures or laser alignment problems.

Watch carefully. The first time a disc freezes on you, get something done about it. Don't wait for a re-occurence, as you'll likely run out of warranty if you do.

"Black Crush" in terms of the HD-931, is the player's inability to send the entire dynamic range of video on the DVD to the display device. Unless they've fixed it recently, the HD-931 sends PC-Video out through it's DVI output, which is 0-255. TV Video is 16-235. The result is that it clips in the whites, and crushes the blacks, essentially truncating the information at both ends. Could be why some people notice what appear to be "extra" blacks. "How much more black can it be? And the answer is 'none,' really. None more black."

"Black Crush" in the video world is when you turn your brightness down so far that values above 16 get mapped to 16. If you turn your brightness down all the way, you'll see that most of your picture is black except for very bright objects. Nearly everything has been mapped to video black -- 16. Since the 931 maps 16 to 0 for you, then sends it out through the DVI port, you're having some of this done for you already, which results in extra shadow details being mapped straight to black (in addition to some of the brighter details being mapped straight to full white on the upper end).

Again, every player has its pros and cons. Other things make the 931 a fine player, especially for the money. I'm kind of a perfectionist when it comes to the finished product -- the picture, so I opted against the 931. Despite its very poor build quality and reliability issues, I like the PQ the D1 gives me, though I'd recommend the 931 to, say, my mother, since she's the type who couldn't care less about black crush. She wants something that turns on and works with little or no problems. But Sammy has new DVI players coming out mid-year, so I hope good things for them. I'll test drive the D3 when it comes out just for it's WM9 capability, but my dream player, for now, is the Pioneer 59avi since it has SACD/DVD-A capabilities as well as HDMI/DVI.

Disclaimer: I'm not a V Inc rep., nor a Pioneer rep., nor a Samsung rep., though I own a DVD player from V Inc., a DVD player and A/V receiver from Pioneer, and a DLP from Samsung (and two HD boxes from Sony). How's that for non-discriminatory shopping? 2.gif

Happy movie-watching. 9.gif

----------------

On 1/28/2004 4:54:00 AM ender21 wrote:

Again, every player has its pros and cons. Other things make the 931 a fine player, especially for the money. I'm kind of a perfectionist when it comes to the finished product -- the picture, so I opted against the 931. Despite its very poor build quality and reliability issues, I like the PQ the D1 gives me, though I'd recommend the 931 to, say, my mother, since she's the type who couldn't care less about black crush. She wants something that turns on and works with little or no problems. But Sammy has new DVI players coming out mid-year, so I hope good things for them. I'll test drive the D3 when it comes out just for it's WM9 capability, but my dream player, for now, is the Pioneer 59avi since it has SACD/DVD-A capabilities as well as HDMI/DVI.

Disclaimer: I'm not a V Inc rep., nor a Pioneer rep., nor a Samsung rep., though I own a DVD player from V Inc., a DVD player and A/V receiver from Pioneer, and a DLP from Samsung (and two HD boxes from Sony). How's that for non-discriminatory shopping?
2.gif

Happy movie-watching.
9.gif

----------------

LOL!

I had the opportunity to see a 931 in action yesterday at an installation. It was on a 65" Mitsubishi Silver series projection TV - and it really did look astonishing in comparison to the progressive scan and interlaced scan DVD players I've put through the wringer over the last few years.

I asked the client if he had bought the extended warranty on the DVD player. He said no. I told him he'd better do so ASAP. It's really too bad that they made such a solid looking product, yet their reputation for shoddy build quality spoils it for them.

Perhaps Samsung needs to consider "exporting" their labor - to the US or Japan, where QC actually exists! 2.gif