K53K vs. K55V squakers

dacer

I currently have K53K squakers with plastic horn running with a type E-2 crossovers in my Heresies. I just purchased a pair of K55V w/metal horns that came out of a pair of Heresies on ebay and was wondering what the differences are between these two drivers and if the K55V drivers will work properly with the E-2 crossovers. I initially bought them to make my Heresies a better match with my La Scala's that do use the K55V squaker. Oh ya, since Klipsch has changed around there site I have been unable to find the parts page. Thanks for any suggestions.

My guess would be that the K55V's should not be used as a replacement for the K53K's. Completely different beast. The E-2 crossover is designed for the current drivers. Some say the plastic horns are better, less ringing. Others can't hear a difference. The parts list has been temporarily removed. We're told it will be back.

Tony

• 4 weeks later...

I have had Heresys with K55Vs and type E networks, and K53Ks with type E2 networks. The K53Ks apparently were introduced toward the end of the original Heresy product line as a cost cutting measure. I can definitely hear the difference between the two. Not so much a difference in frequency response as timber. The K55V should be a better match for your LaScalas. The only difference I remember between the type E and type E2 crossovers is the E2 has a 33 uF cap added to increase the rolloff of the woofer. I think the autotransformer taps used are the same. So, my guess is your plan should work just fine.

• 2 years later...

On 7/13/2001 1:35:00 AM Malcolm wrote:

The K53Ks apparently were introduced toward the end of the original Heresy product line as a cost cutting measure.

Are you sure it was a cost cutting measure? The K53 was used on the original Forte which seems to be a well regarded Heritage model. Maybe the switch was simply driven by a change in suppliers.

The whole move to the Heresy II was cost cutting. The replacement of the K-55-V with the K-53-K in the Heresy during the last few years was just the starting shot. The K-77 tweeters, K-55 squawker drivers, plywood cabinet, etc. were just becoming too expensive to maintain a competitive price point for the Heresy. They continued to be used for many years in the bigger Heritage speakers.

The Forte is not a "Heritage" speaker...

A lot of folks believe that the Chorus I & II, Forte I & II and Quartet are "Heritage"

but they aren't.

The Klipschorn, Belle, La Scalla, Herasey, Cornwall, Shorthorn, Rebel are the real "Heritage" line. The ones that PWK himself designed. I think HDBR could give us a full accounting...

Istari----"Heritage" is a marketing term and of no more use in classifying loudspeakers than terms like "widetrack", "Geritol" or "as seen on TV".

The Fortes and Chorus were developed under PWK's supervision while he was in direct, day-to-day control of the company. The Chorus was an improvement to the Cornwall, sales of which were slipping due to the styling. As long as the speaker was being restyled it was given better bass response through a new woofer and different alignment.

The K-53 and the new tweeter allowed Klipsch to use in-house drivers which needn't meet the extreme efficiency and low crossover needs of the systems with basshorns. Frequency response with the new drivers was actually more extended. Performence was improved at the same time cost was reduced. And that sir, is called good engineering.

So you can call the Chorus and Forte whatever you please but they are certainly "real" Klipsches that incorporate PWK's design philosophies and were developed under his supervision.