review on dvd audio Sinatra live at the Sands

roy

I bought this dvd audio disc because I remembered how much fun it was to listen to my uncle play all his Sinatra lps when I was a kid back in the 60s...well this dvd audio disc being recorded in 1966 wont disappoint many Sinatra fans but I was a lil skeptical because of how old it was and I was right..the sound quality could have been better. I realize that the recording qualiy was limited back then. But I guess i expected a lil bit more and can only give this disc a C rating in my book...the songs sound a lil bit compressed and lacking great detail in treble...bass is not too bad but mainly supplied by the eep plucking of the bass by the Count Basie Orchestra. sound is a lil edgy too and sharp on songs...the surround mix isnt too bad for its age...I suppose its a must for big Sinatra fans but I am looking for any other type of sacd or dvd-A disc that has big band or swing type music with excellent quality..do any exist yet?

Roy,

I'm going to get some spelling wrong here.

Let me suggest Linda Ronstat's " 'Round Midnight ". A 2 CD set. She does some classic numbers from the Swing Era. Backed up with the Nelson Riddle band, which might have been Frank's too.

It is difficult to believe without hearing that the little gal from Country Western could shift to this and do it justice. But WOW, she is terrific. Evidently this is the music she grew up with. The songs pre date Sinatra.

Amazon is also showing 'For Sentimental Reasons' as similar material.

Telarc has quite a bit of Swing music too. Take a look at their website.

After Midnight is a good investment. It will grow on you.

Gil

Coincidence, I was thinking of buying some Linda Ronstat. I'll add Round Midnight to my list. Thanks.

(And now back to the Frank Sinatra thread)

- Brad

----------------

On 1/24/2004 8:09:25 AM William F. Gil McDermott wrote:

Roy,

I'm going to get some spelling wrong here.

Let me suggest Linda Ronstat's " 'Round Midnight ". A 2 CD set. She does some classic numbers from the Swing Era. Backed up with the Nelson Riddle band, which might have been Frank's too.

It is difficult to believe without hearing that the little gal from Country Western could shift to this and do it justice. But WOW, she is terrific. Evidently this is the music she grew up with. The songs pre date Sinatra.

Amazon is also showing 'For Sentimental Reasons' as similar material.

Telarc has quite a bit of Swing music too. Take a look at their website.

After Midnight is a good investment. It will grow on you.

Gil

----------------

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't know Ronstadt's "Round Midnight" set was available in a multi-channel format. I do have her "What's New" recording in DVD-Audio and recommend it.

This "Country Western" gal has recorded in alot of different styles. In addition to her country - country/rock, pop rock and big band styles she has recorded Mexican (also music she grew up with) albums ("Cicones de Mi Padre, etc.), broadway - "Pirates of Penzance", new wave leanings with "Mad Love"(check out her versions of Elvis Costello's "Allison" and "Party Girls") and if you go back to her days with The Stone Poneys there is a folk style. In case you haven't guessed she's probably my favorite singer.