Suggested front L&R for KG2.2 center and rears?

RichardP

I am helping a friend build up a budget (and I do mean budget) HT system, which will incorporate three KG2.2s which I swapped out of my own system. One option is to select larger front L&R which would have to be responsible for most bass output. There probably will not be enough $ to buy a powered sub if we get larger mains. I was thinking about some KG4s, which can be had off Ebay for $200-300. Do you think they would be able to produce enough bass so that listeners could at least appreciate (albeit modestly) some movie LFE effects? Also, would they integrate well (timbre-wise) with the 2.2s (sufficiently for a "non-audiophile" listener)?

An alternative idea is to get two more KG2.2s for fronts, which are pretty cheap ($75 or so on Ebay) and thus may allow the purchase of a powered sub. Would that option be preferable to the one in the previous paragraph? I personally have a RW-12, but that is out of the $ range for my friend. Which subwoofer model, if that option is pursued, would be affordable (i.e., among the cheapest available) and effective in a KG2.2 (x5) system?

Thanks for your recommendations.

I would also go with another pair of KG 2.2's. The larger KG speakers (3.2, 5.2, and 5.2) use a different tweeter than the 2.2's. I used to use a 2.2v as my center until I got my 4.2.

5 KG 2.2's with a capable sub would sound awesome.

I would suggest waiting on a sub until he can afford a good one. I have gone the "I want it now way" and ended up spending more in the long run.

Earle

last 2.2 I was watching went for $200, I think $125 to $150 is average. I have a 2.2 center with 4.2 as mains, 1.5 on their way for surrounds. To my non audiophile ears, this ain't a bad match. With my Outlaw 1050, there is some rumble, but I can't wait to save money for my sub. I would go 2.2 all around, and save pennies for a sub.

And tell us what the budget is for a sub. If you were OK with KG-4s for, let's say, $300, then subtracting $75 for a pair of KG2.2s means $225 left for a sub?

See if you can find a used Velodyne CT-120 or CT-100. I had the 120, and it kicked some serious butt. There's a CT-120 on Ebay right now (although his claim of it being a top-of-the-line subwoofer is not credible). There are also a couple of CT-100s.

I've owned many of the KG line of speakers, and the guys here are exactly right. Buy more matching speakers and a good sub. May sound crazy, buy after listening to my Scott/ChorusII setup a couple of weeks ago, I hooked up a pair of KG2.5's. Them babies ain't too shabby.

The guy I bought the ChorusII's from recently sold a M&K sub for $260. The buys are out there. Look around. If one simply wants a good sounding system, rather than just owning a lot of bragging rights boxes, patience will pay off.

Good luck to you and your friend.

Keith

This is some really great advice. Thanks! The near-consensus about 5 KG2.2s plus a small sub provides a definite direction. When I said $75 for the 2.2s, I realize I was thinking "per speaker." Coincidentally, one of the repliers above just got a 2.2V center off Ebay for $75. I also saw a recent pair of 2.2s which got about $190/pr, so I guess around $75-100 per speaker seems to be typical.

Further suggestions about inexpensive subs are welcomed.

I bought a Velodyne CHT-10 a while back to round out my bass-shy Heresies, and I've been very pleased with it. If the listening area is not over-large, this sub would probably do nicely. One just went on eBay for about $220 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3072007275&category=3275). IMO that's a great price for that piece. I wouldn't let go of mine for that.

Ed

Coincidentally, one of the repliers above just got a 2.2V center off Ebay for $75.

I assume that would be me. I was/am actually looking for a 2.5V to go with the other four 2.5's, but when that 2.2 with a $75 BIN popped up, I had to jump. It sounds great. I am trying to decide if it sounds better than my KV-3. While not as loud (less effieicient I suppose), I think I like the 2.2's sound a little better.