Harman Kardon AVR525 for 499.00... Good deal?

Dan308

Yes, that's new. I used to have Carver so I'm used to brute power. I've been messing around with this 5.1 setup for awhile now and I can't get it to sound good. When I play cable I get one sound and when I play DVD I get another. It's hard to describe, the Yam is so gutless until -20. Listening at low levels is hard, but at -10 you start to get better impact. Below -20 and the speakers on the TV are just as good.

Dan308

My AVR 5550 (the European equivalent of the AVR525) displays volume from -80 to 0 range. At -50, its really not that loud but once I get to -30, its getting seriously loud. The last time I reached -15, I could feel the beat through my couch, and I was only playing a 3-channel stereo. Imagine how it will be with a 7-channel stereo at -15 volume, I believe that it will become hazardous to my health !

Would second the recommendation on keeping the AVR 525 out in the open. As long as you do so, you will not have any problems. Traded in a Klipsch/Yamaha combination for my H/K, and I could not be happier.

------------------------------

Downstairs

Samsung TXN3245FP

Harmon Kardon AVR 525

Denon DVD-2900

Mains: Klipsch RF3II

Center: Klipsch RF3II

Surrounds: Klipsch RS35

Left Rear: Klipsch KLF-C7

Right Rear: Klipsch RC35

SVS 20-39PCi

SVS PB2-ISD 9.gif

Upstairs

Yamaha RX-V1300

Mains, Center: Onkyo SKS-HT500

Surrounds: Axiom QS-8

HSU VTF-2

----------------

On 1/26/2004 9:49:27 PM glennbarn wrote:

My AVR 5550 (the European equivalent of the AVR525) displays volume from -80 to 0 range. At -50, its really not that loud but once I get to -30, its getting seriously loud. The last time I reached -15, I could feel the beat through my couch, and I was only playing a 3-channel stereo. Imagine how it will be with a 7-channel stereo at -15 volume, I believe that it will become hazardous to my health !

----------------

The American version of the AVR 525 displays volume from -80 to +10. No, 7-channel stereo at 0 volume is not really hazardous to your health. 9.gif

It is beautiful ....10.gif

-----------------

Downstairs

Samsung TXN3245FP

Harmon Kardon AVR 525

Denon DVD-2900

Mains: Klipsch RF3II

Center: Klipsch RF3II

Surrounds: Klipsch RS35

Left Rear: Klipsch KLF-C7

Right Rear: Klipsch RC35

SVS 20-39PCi

SVS PB2-ISD

Upstairs

Yamaha RX-V1300

Mains, Center: Onkyo SKS-HT500

Surrounds: Axiom QS-8

HSU VTF-2

That is SERIOUSLY a good price on a new unit. I ended up paying about $575 for a refurbished 525. It was a great receiver. The refurb had some problems though (I think the previous owner dropped it) and H/K replaced it with their new series. I believe the 630 replaces the 525. But still, that bad boy is nice.

I agree with the others, keep it out in the open. In fact, I keep it on the top of my entertainment center, wide open to breathe. I cover it with a board on top when not in use so dust does not accumulate.