Creative Labs DDTS-10 vs DD 5.1

felten20

I said in the other thread.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I have both DD5.1 and DDTS-100.

DD5.1 has less functions and connections. That is fact.

For the sound quality, that is subjective. But I like to share my opinion.

1. PCM stereo mode: DDTS-100 is slightly better than DD5.1 in all spectrum. I have tried

from new age(Yanni) to classic musics.

2. DD5.1/DTS: the difference is not obvious.

3. There are 2 headphone jacks in DDTS-100. They sound even better than s750 with

HD590. s750 is a very respectable MM speaker. Many reviewers said iMP 550 has good

earphone output. That is not true comparing with DDTS-100. I think it is because of

power. I like its headphone jacks.

The DD5.1 is a few years older than DDTS-100. So it is not a real surprise.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The plastic built quality is ok to me. It comes with all kinds of cables you need with gold plated and nice texture. They look better than those in fry's and of course, not as good as monster made cables. The DD5.1 comes with 3 Y cables and ac adapter that look cheap. BTW, is the Ultra control pod made by plastic ?

My DDTS-100 has 1 problem. There are static noise when switch among digital input. I need to reset it or switch to analog and back. So Creative sent me a UPS label to exchange even it has been over 30 days.

Any way, the safest way is buy one if do not like it, return it back in 30 days no question ask. You may need to pay $5 shipping fee.

------------------------------------------------------------------

1. PCM stereo mode: DDTS-100 is slightly better than DD5.1 in all spectrum. I have tried

from new age(Yanni) to classic musics.

------------------------------------------------------------------

This may not be true because I used different players. (ps2 vs imp-550). They should sound the same.

----------------

On 1/24/2004 8:41:32 PM gj2chen wrote:

My DDTS-100 has 1 problem. There are static noise when switch among digital input. I need to reset it or switch to analog and back. So Creative sent me a UPS label to exchange even it has been over 30 days.

----------------

I had that problem too only it sounds like it was more severe than yours.

Anyhow I recieved a replacement and it still occurs from time to time but no where near as bad as it did with my first DDTS. I think it's a design flaw that lays with in ALL DDTS decoders.

----------------

On 2/6/2004 11:09:14 AM jackson_ngo wrote:

WallyWal,

i don't think klipsch produced a ultra 7.1

----------------

lol, they didnt. But rather explaining once again how I came to have a 7.1 setup with the ultras, I recommend you browse some of the older posts on the 5.1 board. The clues are in my sig2.gif

----------------

On 1/26/2004 4:34:08 PM WallyWal wrote:

----------------

----------------

Anyhow I recieved a replacement and it still occurs from time to time but no where near as bad as it did with my first DDTS. I think it's a design flaw that lays with in ALL DDTS decoders.

----------------

um? your sig makes no sense, theres no such thing as the ultra 7.1's?

----------------

On 2/12/2004 11:36:19 AM blake_mooney wrote:

----------------

On 1/26/2004 4:34:08 PM WallyWal wrote:

----------------

----------------

----------------

um? your sig makes no sense, theres no such thing as the ultra 7.1's?

----------------

Not officially2.gif

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is what I thought and why I hesitated to get replacement. It did not affect its functions and quality at all. It just a little inconvient. I would let you when I receive it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have got it back for a week. The noise problem does not exit any more. My previous one was shiped from Singpore. That coould be semi final release version.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I coped out and bought the DDTS-100, the extra features was the big push for me. I really hate the way it looks, it just look ugly any way you look at it, and it does not have a cool LCD like the dd5.1 which looks a lot more substantial. Anyway, im sure the ddts is a better product but klipsch gave no news of a new decoder so i had to act and buy this thing. I'm sure i will like it, but i would have likes a new klipsch decoder 1000 times better.

Anyway, i'll give a review monday.