a "crack" in the base membrane

onemike

When moving my Acoustic Research ARS 500 15" sub I stumbled and made a crack at the bottom "papermembrane" of the sub with my knee, about two inches long. How will this affect the sub´s performance and how can I fix this problem. Can I fix it with some glue or do I have to buy a new element and in that case where? To clarify, there´s nothing wrong with the speakercone, it´s the membrane that has the crack. What to do? Mike

after speaking to several sources here in Sweden where I live it seems that I have to buy a new base element which will be shipped from the U.S. Too bad but I will read my insurance policy and see if something covers this sort of thing. Thank you for your inputs though. Mike

----------------

On 1/26/2004 8:10:06 PM TheEAR wrote:

No Frankie,you cannot tear a spider and not damaging the cone.Its the sourround,I would use a glue that stays flexible on any sourround.Still this would change the woofer's FS and impact the sound.
----------------

If it is the surround, you'll need something flexible like silicon. My brother accidentally put a hole in the surround of his SVS CS driver from a slip of the screwdriver. I used a bit of clear silicon on the front and back of the tear and it's holding up great. I've been rocking it hard for two weeks now to try and see if get the cut to reopen but it seems like it's good to go. I've noticed no audible changes.