Initial Opinions of Mom-in-laws ht

T2K

Finally got the chance today to start setting up mom-in-laws Home Theatre. MUCHO THANKS TO AVMAN!

SONY 36'XBR WEGA:

Sell the dog,the car,pick up cans,whatever.Just get one.Unbelieveable picture.Thinking of downgrading? my 53" Sony XBR RP.Heavy mammy-jammy.

DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY PROCINEMA 80:

Fantastic sub/sat system.Using ProCinema 80's front/rear,ProCenter 100,and upgraded to 10"/250 watt sub($70).You won't leave hungry with this system.Add another 10" sub and,WOW!It ain't KLF30's,but it sho ain't shabby either.

Sony 333ES receiver:

If it was mine,I'd return it in a heartbeat.Instead of

a LED on the volume know,Sony used a high performance silver speck of paint.Visible within 12" or less.And is

that binding posts on the rear?Never seen anything that

cheap before.It sounds good and has tons of features, but I can't stand the cheapness of it.Buy something else.

Sony DVPNS400D:

Had to leave.Report later.

Sony SLVN81 VCR:

See DVD player.

The old woman cooked a late dinner.Gotta go.Make note to self:figure out how you're gonna get that 36"XBR Wega in the house without a fight.It's that good!

Keith

I am sorry Keith, but I have to...

I TOLD YOU SO!cwm29.gifcwm30.gifcwm20.gifcwm32.gifcwm32.gif

------------------

Sony Trinitron 27" TV

Yamaha RX-V1000

JVC HR-S3800 Super VHS VCR

Sony DVP-S530D DVD Player

Sony Tape

Sony CDP-CE345 Cd player

RF-3 Main

Monster m1.4 Biwire Cables

RC-3 Center

SS-1 Rear

Sony is new at the high-end receiver thing. Not all the kinks have been worked out yet. Sony TVs, DVD players and CD players, however, are amazing.

------------------

Sony Trinitron 27" TV

Yamaha RX-V1000

Sony Tape

Sony CDP-CE345 Cd player

RF-3 Main

RC-3 Center

SS-1 Rear

ben,well I'm up for work now and still getting a laugh out of your comments.I'm wondering where you got you're

information about the kinks in this new endeavor of Sony.I'm interested in reading further about it.Can you supply a link? Biggrin.gif

Keith

My dad has 2 of those 36" wega XBRs. However, he still has to yet upgrade from prologic, with really crappy speakers. He's comming around, though. Got him interested in a Klipsch ref system with SVS sub.

Oh yea, I have the sounds, and he has the looks. My 8 year old TV really bums me out, but my wife will never let me upgrade until this one blows up.

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

.... get some Black cats......... open them

Poor the contents into the TV though the openings....

Leave it on for a couple dayz straight.....

Let it get nice and hot.... and Boom Smile.gif *hopefuly*

Smile.gif you'll need a new TV

Or you can completely box it in... allowing NO air flow, and leave it on..

.... Not sure why, but everytime I see a Wega at BestBuy or where ever........ I am not impressed..

I forget what My friend has, It was a large sony, Flat screen, maby a Trinatron...... that was Impressive.

------------------

Living Room:

Yamaha Natural Sound A-500 Stereo Amplifier

2 Klipsch Heresys on A switch

2 Fisher STV-873 on B switch

My Room:

Klipsch Pro Medias

2 Fisher Surrounds

hey ttk, glad to help! for all y'all who posted, sony ES products in general are a cut above, my strda777ES receiver i would put against any $1,500 receiver-it kicks a**. 62 lbs. vs. 40 lbs.for the current t.o.l. v555ES; made in japan vs. 'fabrique en malaise'. they have taken a turn for the worse this last model yearFrown.gif still, EASY TO USE when all your 'stuff' is sony because of the remote macro capability. VVega xbr- properly ajusted for video-one of THE BEST tv's i've ever seen! avman.

As the fella at the "ORIGINAL" HiFiBuys in Nashville described it, "its simply the best TV on the planet".

Of course,for all you non-thinkers,he was considering price.Much as you would shoes,subwoofers,and automobiles.

AVMAN,as I said the Definitives are pretty impressive.

When the time comes for that second room system,that is exactly what I'll buy.Maybe the ProCinema 100's with two 10" subs.Thanks again.

Keith

Keith,

I don't remember exactly where I got my information on Sony. I think it was just a general census. The sales people at my local dealer said Sony in general has a hiss in their receivers. They said some notice it and some dont. He also said the efficiency in my Klipchies adds to the hiss. Also, I checked to reviews on audioreview.com. Most of the more knowledgeable posters gave the Sony bad reviews. I agreed based on what I heard from people and what I saw in my own testing. Oh well. I do think Sony is on the verge of greatness however.

------------------

Sony Trinitron 27" TV

Yamaha RX-V1000

Sony Tape

Sony CDP-CE345 Cd player

RF-3 Main

RC-3 Center

SS-1 Rear

Well Ben,my opinion is Sony is beyond the verge of greatness,as far as their AV receivers are concerned. The quality was much better in the past.As far as the more knowledgeable posters go, one thing that those more knowledgeable posters never seem to quote,in their more knowledgeable posts,are prices.Take, lets say for instance,a Sony 333ES receiver.Retail around $550.Check comparables at that price range for a fair comparision.It probably will not compare favorably to the new Denon 3801 I have had sitting in the box for the past several weeks(no time)and price is the reason.

We all stumble and fall(note Klipsch's recent bottom firing subs/prices).Don't kick us while we're down.My Dad,in his mid seventies,has a pair of Sony receivers from the early seventies.They,like my Dad,are still kickin.I have a feeling his receivers are older than some of the more knowledgeable posters you spoke of. Gotta go now.Time to cook lunch.

Keith