Surrounds to match Forte II's?

Bartdude

What do you think would be good surrounds to match my main speakers?

Forte II's L/R

Academy Center (managed to score off ebay last year)

SW-12

I was going to upgrade to RF-7's, but since I just had cabinets made to enclose my Fortes (open to the rear) and hold my stereo equipment, I didnt want to go there yet.

My reciever is getting upgraded tomorrow to the HK AVR630 (currently a cheap pioneer). My wife actually told me to buy the RF-7's and sell my current ones (for my birthday present), but the above reason keeps me from doing that at the present 15.gif

If I were in your shoes and WAF wasn't a concern (if you're getting told to get RF 7's to replace your Forte's it sounds like you're in the tall cotton on that score), I'd be lusting after another set of Forte II's, or Quartets, or maybe Heresey II's. The first two before the last one. If I'm wrong someone will tell us both. 1.gif

Bart-

As folks have said above, certainly look at another set of Forte IIs or their little brothers, the Quartet. Or do what I did...get a pair of Chorus IIs and move the Forte IIs to surrounds. 9.gif Forte IIs are great speakers, but I think the Chorus IIs are overall better. Yes, slightly less bass response, but with the sub, that doesn't really matter. I like the mid/high output of the Chorus over the Forte, just a bit smoother all around.

OTOH, if you need small speakers, look at the KG 1.2/2.2 series. I used a pair of 1.2s (actually two pair) for surrounds (7.1 ch system) before I got the Chorus IIs. I think they are great little speakers and can certainly do well in HT applications. But if you have a loving wife who said get more big speakers, then I'd not let her down!11.gif

Bart-

I think you will notice that the RF series will not be a good timbre match with the Fortes. If you are stuck into getting smaller speakers for surrounds, then look up the KG 1.2 or KG 1.5. Both are the same speaker, but the 1.5 is pre-drilled for Omnimount brackets, so you can mount these on the wall/ceiling. Guess that might help with avoiding the knick-knack growth.

Like Rob said, try KG 1.5s if space is a concern. I will attest that they work "good", as surrounds, with Forte IIs or Quartets. Another pair of Forte IIs or Quartets would be best. I'm one that believes that matching up sensitivity levels is also imporant. Go to the Klipsch Home Page and click on "Classic Product" and then "Heritage". Check out the Forte II, Quartet, and even Chorus II specs. You may be able to pick up a pair of Quartets for half what you would pay for Chorus IIs. I would recommend you go that direction. If this were for a two channel set-up I would consider Chorus IIs for the reasons that Rob stated. For HT, The Forte II/Quartet combination would be very hard to beat. Don't mix in the RF7s. Great speakers they are, just not with the Heritage series. If you're still bent on getting some 7s, there will be several people, here on the forum, that will be interested in your Forte IIs and the Academy. Me included!