New SVS model!!

Cleve

Hey, EAR, this looks like an AWESOME deal.

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_pb2_isd.htm

To think I paid $600 for my RW-12 when for a couple hundred more I could have TWICE the POWER, TWICE the Enclosure size, and TWICE the Radiating area! Dammit, I should have waited!! I hate to admit it, but I've developed a sick craving for bass, bass and more BASS!!! 8.gif lol!!!

Now I'm thinking of selling my month old RW-12, and upgrading, OR just buying the SVS, and taking my RW12 back to the dealer to apply towards some new main Klipsch Speakers to replace my 12 year old Pinnacle PN8+'s.

Which brings up another question - I would then need a recommendation for a Klipsch main speaker! Is the new stuff the way to go, or should I start lookin' for Heritage stuff like the Cornwalls?

Actually, I'm pretty sure this model is new - I only recall the PB2 Plus as the cheapest Dual Woofer SVS subwoofer. This has the same enclosure as the PB2 Plus, but it has less power (600 watts vs 900) and the drivers are different. It's also $300 less than the PB2 Plus

----------------

On 1/26/2004 11:32:55 PM TheEAR wrote:

As mains I would look at the RF5's or if you have a larger room the RF7's.I use RF7's in a very small 10x14 room.

----------------

How do RF5's and RF7's compare to something like the Cornwalls? I've never heard 'heritage' Klipsch speakers.

Guest klipschomatic

The RW-12 is a good sub and its substantial corner to corner port behaves very similar to having a passive radiator. Use the LR inputs instead of the LFE inputs and you will gain around another 6dB in output. It is unfortunate that you are choosing to disparage the Klipsch on this board in favor of an SVS you have never heard so triumphantly. I will continue to defend Klipsch and point out what amounts to SVS advertisements on this Klipsch bulletin board. If he were posting about a Polk sub, would you guys be so supportive?

----------------

On 1/27/2004 12:15:48 PM klipschomatic wrote:

The RW-12 is a good sub and its substantial corner to corner port behaves very similar to having a passive radiator. Use the LR inputs instead of the LFE inputs and you will gain around another 6dB in output. It is unfortunate that you are choosing to disparage the Klipsch on this board in favor of an SVS you have never heard so triumphantly. I will continue to defend Klipsch and point out what amounts to SVS advertisements on this Klipsch bulletin board. If he were posting about a Polk sub, would you guys be so supportive?

----------------

Any port behaves like a PR, not just a corner port.

Using the LR inputs doesn't really give you 6dB(I think it's 3dB though) more output in the end if that's what you're implying. Regardless of which input you use the driver can still only move the same amount of air. A signal coming from any normal receiver to the LFE input will be able to driver the sub to it's max. Doing it this way instead of the LR inputs just means you need the level turned up a tiny bit more to reach the same volume but in the end it's all the same.

----------------

On 1/27/2004 12:15:48 PM klipschomatic wrote:

The RW-12 is a good sub and its substantial corner to corner port behaves very similar to having a passive radiator . . . It is unfortunate that you are choosing to disparage the Klipsch on this board in favor of an SVS you have never heard so triumphantly . . . If he were posting about a Polk sub, would you guys be so supportive?

----------------

Huh? What is that old Whitesnake song? "Here we go again ...."

In the above posts, I am not aware of anyone "disparaging" the Klipsch RW-12 sub. As you put it, the RW-12 is a "good" sub.

However, the PB2-ISD is a "great" sub. In my opinion, the RSW-12/15 are also "great" subs. All three of these subs have their respective strengths, and of course, cost always plays some factor in the overall equation. I have listened extensively to subs from a number of manufacturers including Klipsch, SVS, Velodyne, HSU, and Polk. This includes having purchased (and later returned) a RW-12 and a RSW-12 and having borrowed a friend's RSW-15 for a week to demo that sub with my Klipschs. A number of Klipsch owners (including TheEAR) own, have owned, or have extensively demoed a number of Klipsch subwoofers and other brands of subwoofers so those individuals are in a position to provide subjective impressions. Additionally, some stats are objective in nature, and many owners discuss those as well.

Again. 9.gif There are a number of Klipsch owners out there who have owned various Klipsch mains and centers, and who have made a conscious choice (right or wrong) after hearing Klipsch subs to pair their Klipsch speakers with other brands of subwoofers. It is simple really. Bass waves are longer than other sound waves, and bass waves are usually omni-directional. Also, the sound and nature of a bass wave dictates that it is easier to pair or seamlessly blend different brands of subwoofers with another brand of mains or centers or surrounds. It is much different timber matching your front three speakers as opposed to matching your main speakers and subwoofer(s). Again, we believe that SVS subs seamlessly blend with Klipsch mains, and you would also if you heard a SVS sub. Some Klipsch faithful enjoy discussing a variety of different brands of subwoofers, including Klipsch and SVS.

Back to the PB2-ISD. Not exactly new, but "newer." SVS started taking pre-orders in the summer 2003, I believe. I pre-ordered mine the beginning of September and received it late October of last year.

As for Polks, which model(s) are you proposing we discuss?

-----------------------

Downstairs

Samsung TXN3245FP

Harmon Kardon AVR 525

Denon DVD-2900

Mains: Klipsch RF3II

Center: Klipsch RF3II

Surrounds: Klipsch RS35

Left Rear: Klipsch KLF-C7

Right Rear: Klipsch RC35

SVS 20-39PCi

SVS PB2-ISD

Upstairs

Yamaha RX-V1300

Mains, Center: Onkyo SKS-HT500

Surrounds: Axiom QS-8

HSU VTF-2

Guys, it was not really my intention to 'bash' Klipsch - I love Klipsch - in December I just spent $1300 on Klipsch products. And the SVS in question is 50% more expensive than my Klipsch AND I was thinking of using my RW-12 to trade UP to new Klipsch mains. And it's not like I'm the first person to say good things about SVS here - I've seen dozens of similar posts in the archive.

However, I'm usually better educated about my purchases before I make them. At my area dealer, an RSW-12 is $1099 and the RSW-15 is $1399. However, from the reviews I've read since I bought my RW-12 last month, it seems clear that the SVS has significantly more output in the critical <25hz region than even the RSW-15 - it has a bigger enclosure and more driver surface area - hard to beat the laws of physics when it comes to bass in the sub-audible zone. And what I want is STRONG output at 20 cycles or so for the newer DVD's

Soooooo, how do the newer Klipsch mains stack up against the older heritage speakers like the Cornwalls? 2.gif

----------------

On 1/28/2004 8:55:27 AM Cleve wrote:

Guys, it was not really my intention to 'bash' Klipsch - I love Klipsch - in December I just spent $1300 on Klipsch products. And the SVS in question is 50% more expensive than my Klipsch AND I was thinking of using my RW-12 to trade UP to new Klipsch mains. And it's not like I'm the first person to say good things about SVS here - I've seen dozens of similar posts in the archive.

----------------

Don't worry about it. We're not getting on your case, just Klipschomatic's.

----------------

On 1/28/2004 8:55:27 AM Cleve wrote:

Guys, it was not really my intention to 'bash' Klipsch - I love Klipsch - in December I just spent $1300 on Klipsch products. ....from the reviews I've read since I bought my RW-12 last month, it seems clear that the SVS has significantly more output in the critical [25hz region than even the RSW-15 - it has a bigger enclosure and more driver surface area - hard to beat the laws of physics when it comes to bass in the sub-audible zone. And what I want is STRONG output at 20 cycles or so for the newer DVD's

----------------

We all understand you meant no disrespect to Klipsch. We also love Klipsch speakers, but we simply like to keep our options open when it comes to subwoofers. The particular gentleman who claimed offense appears to enjoy scolding people who do not use the magical word "Klipsch" in their post. I would not sweat the comment; you are simply trying to become a fully-educated consumer.

You are right. It is hard to beat the laws of physics when it comes to bass. My PB2-ISD has more punch than the RSW-15 above 30hz (not a huge advantage but an advantage). After all, this is the sub that the SVS founders labeled as a great "musical sub." The advantage in punch continues down to the low depths. The PB2-ISD provides excellent punch for music, and it provides a "wallop" down to 16hz with two ports plugged. The RSW-15 is also a very, very fine sub. However, for the difference in price between a PB2-ISD and a RSW-15 (or even a RSW-12), it certainly makes for an interesting discussion.

------------------------

Downstairs

Samsung TXN3245FP

Harmon Kardon AVR 525

Denon DVD-2900

Mains: Klipsch RF3II

Center: Klipsch RF3II

Surrounds: Klipsch RS35

Left Rear: Klipsch KLF-C7

Right Rear: Klipsch RC35

SVS 20-39PCi

SVS PB2-ISD