spiking klf-20

dantfmly

Spike them after you have found the best position.

Bi-wiring may or may not make a difference. I am bi-wiring my KLF20's and they sound very good.

I would do either one thing or the other first and give it sometime before you try the second "upgrade". There is nothing worse than making all these changes at the same time and then deciding you don't like the sound and you don't know what caused it.

You may want to go to www.davidmannaudio.com abd check out the biwiring info.

Danny

I bi-wired, hard mounted (hard wood floors so spikes not needed) and angled my 20's and at times the bass is incredible. That's what spiking will do the most of, improve bass.

I also waited when no body was home fro a day or so and drew up an Excel spread sheet and mapped output readings using a built in generator in an old analyzer I have. The mapping was from 2" from the side wall to 2" from the back wall. Each measurment was taken by moving the speaker one inch (2"X3", 2"X4", 2"X5" etc. then 3"X2", 3"X3", 3"X4" etc.)) all the way out to 19" in both side and rear axis'. It takes a while (a few hours) to do this but you'll find the peak output location pretty fast that way. Then you know where and when it has the most output for bass. I have the file if you want it just PM me and I'll send it, it has a chart-graph on it too.

VERY IMPORTANT!! If you do something like this you MUST TURN ALL THE TREBLE DOWN ON YOUR PRE-AMP!! Not just to "0" but in the most negative territory of that adjustment possible. You tweeters will live to see another day and love you for it.

I own KLF 20s also and have spiked them and it did help a little with the bass. Also have to make sure that the front spikes are the correct hight which depends on your couch. I had mine angled too high toward the roof so my mids and treble were not as clear. Play with them to find the best spot for speaker placement and spike hight.

I am getting some new La Scalas and since they don't come with spikes I'm thinking of adding 50-80 pounds on top of the speakers(don't want sand bags on top - have cats - possible major mess) to help tighten the bass. I will wait a couple of months before I try it so I can get used to the sound without them and let the speaker break in.