McIntosh MX 110 feedback?

StuDog

I've had several MX-110s over the years. I have one right now, in fact. It's a fine device, from McIntosh's first golden age, and I think, one of the best looking units ever. They came in several different "incarnations," with early ones having a flat face plate, a thumbwheel balance control, and trim pots under the end caps. The later models have a balance knob concentrically mounted with the on-off switch. Parts and tubes can be hard to find, especially for the early units. I've run mine over the years with Marantz 2s and 8bs (the latter seemed to be an especially fine combination, for some reason) McIntosh 225, 240, 275, 50, 2100, and 2300, Hadley 601 (another good combination, but have fun trying to find one) Harmon Kardon Citation 12 (not bad for a solid state amp you can get for cheap) and Dyna Stereo 70. Everything worked well, but I felt the tube stuff - things from the same period - had the most pleasing sound.

The only thing I'd be careful of is using the on-off switch to control the power amps. It doesn't handle much power and would be a real pain to locate a replacement (especially for the early ones where the switch is part of the stereo mode selector.)

In short, you'll like it alot, once you make sure it's operating up to its potential. (One of mine had a leaky capacitor touched up with a black magic marker when I bought it. It still sounded good.)

Hello Stu.

I recently bought a MX110 for use with my MC225. I had only recently acquired the MC225 but immediately fell in love with the wonderful Mac tube sound. I was expecting another leap in sound improvement with the addition of the MX110. To my ears the MX110 was a major disappointment. I am not a techie so I dont know the why and wherefore of the reasons but with the MX110 the clarity and presence of the Music declined. It was almost like listening to Music through some sort of filter. I listened to it for a couple of days rolling tubes etc but put my Cary 808 preamp back into service and went back to loving the sound of my system. Again this is to my ears. I know that a lot of people love the way the MAC preamps sound. But they are clearly not for me.

Josh

----------------

On 1/30/2004 3:36:37 PM mobile homeless wrote:

Josh, I have never heard of the Cary 808 preamp. What is this model? You have any pics?

kh

----------------

Hello Kelly,

The SLP 808 is the preamp that Cary introduced to pair with the Rocket 88. It uses two 6SN7 tubes. Cary no longer makes it. It was highly recommended by a number of people, all of them having the opportunity to sell me something more expensive. I bought it from Upscale Audio as they recommended it over preamps that they sell for over 3 times as much. I havent compared it to a lot of others but I have to say that I am really liking how my system is sounding!

Josh

I ran one with a mac mc240. Really liked it. When a Marantz 7C came up locally for a good price, I sold it to another forum member. I actually found the phono section to sound better than the Marantz but a little tube swapping has changed that. Replacing the tuning eye tube was a real B!TCH!

Beautiful unit though!

----------------

On 1/30/2004 3:36:37 PM mobile homeless wrote:

Josh, I have never heard of the Cary 808 preamp. What is this model? You have any pics?

kh

----------------

KH, Heres a picture of the 808. Not a lot to look at but it sounds spectacular. I have also included the specs.

Circuit Type: Class A Single-Ended

Front Panel Headphone jack driven by audio grade transformers from the 6SN7 dual triode vacuum tubes

Gain Line Stage: 20 dB

Input Impedance: 100K Ohms

Output Impedance: 600 Ohms

Noise and Hum: > 84 dB below full output

Frequency Response: 10 Hz to 40 KHz +/- 0.5 dB

Tubes: 2 - 6SN7 dual triode vacuum tubes

Power Transformer(s): 400% Duty Cycle

Wire: EE Teflon Silver

Resistors: 1% Metal Film

Capacitors: Polypropylene

Power Supply: Full wave rectified feeding a Pi network and filter choke.

AC Cord: 3 conductor shielded detachable

AC Power Requirements: 117/234 VAC @ 50/60 Hz (Set during production)

Break-In Time: 100 hours of music playing time.

Finish Features: Black steel chassis with black anodized aluminum face plate & knobs, remote volume control, tape monitor loop, 4 stereo input pairs, all RCA connectors for inputs, outputs and the tape monitor loop.

Weight: 18 lbs.

Dimensions: 6" H x 16" W x 11" D

Josh

post-12293-13819251839066_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 2/4/2004 2:03:07 AM mobile homeless wrote:

Thanks for the info. Looks a lot like the SLP-88 preamp. I wonder if it's the same thing. IF you get a chance, take a good, high resolution shot of the interior.

kh

----------------

It is absolutely the same thing. I dont really understand the number system. But the manual and some listings call it an 808 and in other places its called an88.

Josh

Gary, I got the switch down to eight minutes now. The first on our preamp took about twenty minutes and some swearing, but the three I've done since then keep getting quicker. Two of the local shops call me now to do this bad little job, as they break the tube trying to do the dance.

I have A/B'ed the MX110 and the C20, and I'm going to slide the C20 off to a good owner. If you know anyone interested, drop me a line. I just can't justify having two heavy hitter Mac preamps and a Scott 299C in perfect working order when I really need another amp or monoblocks. An interesting trade would be enjoyed as well, although Fini offered me a job last time I said this and he never followed through!

----------------

On 2/4/2004 8:15:36 AM sheltie dave wrote:

Gary, I got the switch down to eight minutes now. The first on our preamp took about twenty minutes and some swearing, but the three I've done since then keep getting quicker. Two of the local shops call me now to do this bad little job, as they break the tube trying to do the dance.

I have A/B'ed the MX110 and the C20, and I'm going to slide the C20 off to a good owner. If you know anyone interested, drop me a line. I just can't justify having two heavy hitter Mac preamps and a Scott 299C in perfect working order when I really need another amp or monoblocks. An interesting trade would be enjoyed as well, although Fini offered me a job last time I said this and he never followed through!

----------------

Dave,

I'm about to offer up my MC240 on the forum. Maybe somebody here is interested in both for a killer all Mac system. If I find someone on my end, I'll let you know and vice versa please.

Glad to hear I wasn't the only one cussing up a storm trying to get that tube in.2.gif