heresy veneering project

klipschaholik

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

waiting on the glue to dry. When pressing the veneer to the surface, be carefull that you don't let the veneer slide. I screwed up one piece of the base because I wasn't paying attention while i was pressing the veneer with the iron and once it sets it sets! i had to scrape that piece off and start over.

post-14322-1381925185836_thumb.jpg

Klipschaholik,

Lookin' very good! I recently completed a full restoration on a set of Heresy's and now I am just about to the veneering stage on the restoration of a set of Cornwall's. Fun Stuff! Which source did you use for your veneer? Usually, you would have to tape the veneer to get it that wide unless it is backed. Yours does not look backed.

Good Work!

I purchased the veneer from Ebay, where else? There's a seller who has different varieties listed all the time. This was some walnut 16X24 that was a perfect fit. Its not backed. Being wide like that you have to be carefull from spitting. After applying the glue I layed the piece down on a flat surface and held it in place.

What type of finish did you use on yours. I have some Cornwalls That I was trying to match the color to, but I've decided on using a cherry stain instead. Not sure whether to go with an oil finish or lacquer for the final. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Well, you made me do it! My wife and I are on our way out to Lowes so I can get some Tite Bond to put the black walnut veneer on my Heresys. The veneer has been acclimating for about four months now. It should be ready doncha think? I'm going to use Greg's iron on process for this project. Thanks for the tips Greg.

Rick

Cherry stain applied to the walnut. I applied a pre stain wood conditioner first to allow the wood to take the stain evenly. Man, it brought the grain out in the walnut and i was considering leaving it natural, but the walnut is just a tad bit too grey for my taste. So, I went with the cherry. I tried several other colors but they all left a greenish tint to the finish so I used a color with a little red. I think the cherry was a good choice.

post-14322-13819251874264_thumb.jpg

What a nice job. very encouraging to see a guy pulling off a transformation like that without a lot of fancy tools and equipment.

I wonder about that gray walnut? all I've seen is brown. Good move with that cherry stain. I've that green effect you mentioned, now I know a way to avoid it.

Tom