heresy veneering project

klipschaholik

No, no stain just the boiled linseed which has a reddish cast. Black walnut is darker with stronger grain patern than the other walnuts. The veneer I used on my Khorns has a beautifully highlighted horizzontal figure along with the verticle grain but, I could not get any more of that tree for my Heresy project.

Rick

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found the Heresy badges for the speakers, thanks Trey. Klipsch sells them for $2.50 each at the store. That projects finished. Now for the Dynaco st 70 to arrive that I just picked up. Oh and I also picked up another pair of hersey II's on ebay. Soon as I check them out I plan to clean them up and maybe put them up for sale to help pay for a preamp. Just depends on how they look. I think they are HWO's but can't be sure just yet. If your interested in a pair give me a buzz.

Nice work they look beautiful (both cases). One question though when are you going to come by to start on my La Scala's. Seeing the work you have both done has got me itching to try my hand at it on my La Scala's. My main concern is the bass bin cabinet area though. No idea how to do that without completely disassembling the speaker. If I have my way Id rather not do that. Anyway they really look beautiful. My long-range pan is to buy 2 pair of Heresys and veneer them all to match.

J.

I don't think veneering the Scalas would be as hard as you think. If you can the the veneer long enought so that you don't have to but splice laying out the veneer into the base should be do-able with some carefull measuring and care. Course it all depends on what shape the speaker is in to start with. I mean if they are the black ones at worse you could repaint them if your not happy with the results. I don't think I would try and dissasemble these though because they probably are glued and nailed or screwed together which might mess up the plywood if you try and take them apart.

As you know, nothing ventured, nothing gained! Cheers!9.gif

• 1 year later...

how bout bringing this back to the top. Seems like lots of cabinetry going on in Klipsch-land with spring approaching. Everyone remember to take pix of the good, bad, and ugly. I especially appreciate the 'avoid this' posts.

Michael- it's a labor of love baby!

OK,OK here we go. Here is the LS project that's been sitting in the garage for almost a year. I purchased these last spring from a forum member in Birmingham AL who was looking to upgrade to Khorns. Real nice guy. I found some rosewood veneer on Ebay for $35 bucks, enought to do the pair! I figured I couldn't make them look any worse than they already did and the MRS. didn't really like them in the living room looking the way they were. Now, it couldn't be much harder than the heresy project, well...

post-14322-13819251894362_thumb.jpg

To be honest I can't say that it did, but I didn't glue any of the veneer with just blue tape either. I wasn't going to take any chances messing up the rosewood because I did not have much to spare. I think the veneer tape certainly made handling the sheets easier. Considering the effort to put it on and remove it I wouldn't consider not using it. I was less impressed with the wood softener. I still had some major splits after glueing down the sheets on the outer cabinet but none on the inside or doghouse. Don't know why.

post-14322-1381925191876_thumb.jpg