Question on Heresy

pulmoguy

I'm still shopping for speakers, and just saw a pair of Heresy's that look very nice. Some questions, please:

Does "HWL" mean walnut lacquer?

Serial 172799....when produced?

Are these "big" enough for my 30 x 15 foot drafty old living room?

Any comparisons between Heresy's & Forte's?

Acoording to this site, Heresy's weigh 55#, while Heresy II's weigh 37#. Is that a typo, or why the difference?

Thanks a bunch for all your help.9.gif

Yes to walnut, depends on how powerful your amp is and how loud you want your music, they are both 50+ pounds, the Forte is decent as well. If you have money and good corners, an extra thousand will throw you in the dogfight for a respectable set of Khorns that would make your living room sing.

Welcome to the forum1.gif

Here you go, but is that all the digits in the serial number? Could the third character be a letter?

KLIPSCH S/N FORMATS

DATES DESCRIPTION EXAMPLE

1946-1947 ### (001) ending #021

1948-1961 #### (0121) starting #0121

1946-1961 dates can only be found in log book (eng. Library)

Klipschorns of this vintage had the s/n hammer stamped into the

tailboard, woofer access door or inside the woofer chamber.

1962-1983 ##letter#### (20Y1234)

1962-1983 Letter format

A=62 F=67 K=72 R=77 X=82

B=63 G=68 L=73 S=78 Y=83

C=64 H=69 M=74 T=79

D=65 I=70 N=75 U=80

E=66 J=71 P=76 W=81

1984-1989(?) YY WW #### (89281234)

1990-1997(?) DOY Y2Y1 #### (135791234)

DOY= day of the year

Y2Y1=2nd digit of year, 1st digit of year

1998-2000 YY WW #### (00281234)

YY=year (i.e. 99,00)

WW=week of the year

Date code on drivers (1994) Example 9429 = 1994, 29th week of the year / YYWW

HWL = Heresy walnut lacquer

The number you gave is not a Heresy serial number, at least not one used from the early 60s on. There should be a letter in it giving the year of production. In 1984 or so the format changed to one where the first two digits were the year.

Heresys are very efficient and usually big enough for a room that size. You will probably want a good subwoofer to extend the bass, however, because it is 3 dB down by about 65 Hz.

IIRC the last time I weighed a Heresy it was about 42 pounds. Don't know the reason for the descrepancy in the listed information. Perhaps the Heresy's shipping weight, including the box, is listed, and the Heresy II's net weight is listed.

----------------

On 2/1/2004 8:23:24 PM pulmoguy wrote:

----------------

I was listening just to the Heresys in my church meeting room.. huge room, the speakers are 40' apart. They did quite a nice job, and assuming that you are not a heavy rocker, they would do a very decent job for you. they are wonderful speakers.

I've heard it said about the Forte speaker that it is a Heresy on steroids. I think that the Heresys have midrange/upper treble that is soooooooooo wonderful.

forrest

----------------

On 2/1/2004 11:52:31 PM Woodog wrote:

----------------

On 2/1/2004 8:23:24 PM pulmoguy wrote:

----------------

I was listening just to the Heresys in my church meeting room.. huge room, the speakers are 40' apart. They did quite a nice job, and assuming that you are not a heavy rocker, they would do a very decent job for you. they are wonderful speakers.

I've heard it said about the Forte speaker that it is a Heresy on steroids. I think that the Heresys have midrange/upper treble that is soooooooooo wonderful.

forrest

----------------

I agree about the mid/highs. I use my Heresy's with seperate powered subs in a 14 x 22 foot room using a 20 watt per channel tube amp. I can get as loud as I ever need to.

Dave

1.gif