Sub $3000 HT or Sound System

i need to build a sound system like a quintet thing for my family... we want small speakers, nothing really bigger than the sats for the quintet... i know there are small ones, they can be bigger though. I need a receiver, speakers.. you know, everything involved with building a surround sound system. This will be both for music and for DVD... I just need the speakers and the power for them eg} amp receiver... This should fall around $3000 or less

Here is another thing.

If you could build a total HT system with around $3000 or lessamerican... including big tv, dvd, and sound w/ receiver... what would you get?

thanks, i need this infor ASAP

for both of these i would like to spend less than $2000 but i realize that tht may not be possible... for the just sound system... what compares to the System 6 and Quintet... are they way different? How about paradigm?

thanks again

------------------

-justin

http://www.fortunecity.com/campus/berry/88/

Well, you can look at systems like the Energy Take 5, or you could build your own component system. With a budget like that, you MIGHT be tempted to look at Bose, and if you do, you'll be exiled from your country Smile.gif

If you can find quality components for a component system, you can build an very good setup for 1500 or less that would beat the holy hell outta the Quintets (I built mine for my computer for about 800 USD, including reciever).

ok... well the energy 5? never heard of that... waht is the difference betwween the quintet and system 6.? I know that they look totally different....

see what i do not know is what componeents to get, like models and brands... i am new to this brand of speakers, just have the PM 4.1. thanks

------------------

-justin

Component systems aren't hard to build. You just get main speakers (bookshelves) that're about 300 - 500 dollars, get rear speakers that could be a lesser in quality then the manis, or the same as the mains, depending on what you want. You get a centre channel that's designed to match the main speakers, and a sub thats crossover freq. won't leave a midrange gap (between the subs highest freq. and the other speakers lowest freq.) Bundle it up with a quality reciever, and you're set.

yeah the bose have a gap of like 202-280 Hz. that sucks. i know what is needed, just not which to buy... i do not know brand and the such. i just really want some audiophile o build my system hopefully for $2000 so i can get a tv and DVD

------------------

-justin

Well, if you're gonna go the component route, I guess I can use my setup as an example of a system that'll play EXTREMELY loud, and clearly. I bought 2 pairs of Acoustic Research 206HO's from Egghead.com, I think they still have some, so check it out. I bought my Acoustic Research CS25HO centre channel from Egghead as well, but I don't know if they still offer it. Those AR products are discontinued, so they're an extremely kickass value. The 206HO's alone were 250/pair before being discontinued, and now they're more like 70/pair Smile.gif. For a sub, check audioreview.com to see what you'd prefer, but I went with a Sony SAWM40. It's a 12" sub that'll REALLY pound, altho it IS a bit boomy, so check that out. I got a Yamaha HTR 5250 reciever to go with the entire package. Its 500w total with 100w/channel, it has built in DD and DTS, so you're set for movies. Total, my package cost exactly 1500 Can. but I ordered everything from the States, so it only costs about 700 - 800 USD

So, go with those components and build upon it.

Justin .. Justin my friend.

Contact me

dwk.16@home.com

I'll work with you if you want on setting up a good system.

NO BOSE!

I will slap you HARD if you get BOSE!

Heres my thoughts for you right now.

under 3000$ right?

5.1 setup with small speakers right? Television, and DVD player right?

Check out the Synergy 6 setup. for 1000$

Pick up a nice 300 doller Amp/Reciever from Best Buy, with everything you need.

Look at a Nice Projection Television for about 1500 at best buy

As for the DVD player, Shop around for one you like.

A simple DVD with S-Video out would do you good. If you can find reviews.. thats even better.

------------------

Living Room:

Yamaha Natural Sound A-500 Stereo Amplifier

2 Klipsch Heresys on A switch

2 Fisher STV-873 on B switch

My Room:

Klipsch Pro Medias

2 Fisher Surrounds

And actualy.. a Sony Trinatron or Wega would be a good choice for television

------------------

Living Room:

My Room:

Klipsch Pro Medias

2 Fisher Surrounds

I'll leave the tv/dvd suggestions to DwK, since he's probably more informed on that type of hardware, but for speakers, I'd have to disagree.

The Synergy 6 is a nice system, but I'd put my speakers up against it ANYDAY Smile.gif. The sub that comes with it might be a bit tighter then my sub, but for dvd's, there is no comparison, mine would eat it alive Smile.gif For music tho, I might look up a tigher sub, like JBL, but it depends on what you mainly want. If dvd, my sub's a great catch at 160 USD, or a JBL PB10 for 180, or a PB12 for 40 dollars or so more. A fully packaged system is great because there's no work involved, just find a dealer and buy. A component system, on the other hand can produce better results if work is spent on research. And hell, my system + reciever costs the same as the Synergy 6 speakers alone. Of course, I've never heard the Synergy 6 speakers, so obviously I can't rate them, so I turn to audioreview.com to give me some info. They're good speakers alright, with the only weakness apparently being the sub. Well, I use my system for music/dvd/games (its hooked upto my computer). For an example of the volume it can produce (clearly, of course), I keep all Windows volumes to max settings, and I'll I can pump this baby to the 1 o'clock position on the reciever (or about 60% of full reciever vol.) and it is EXTREMELY loud (I'm talking WAY beyond any sort of concert level of volume). Heh, I know that's not a very good way to measure the quality for you, but it's the best I can do. But if you're looking at the cheaper price of my setup to the S6's as a sign of lower quality, remember, my AR speakers are discontinued, and if they were their normal price, the total speaker package price would go from $375.00 to about $850.00 USD

But hell, if you can get a chance to test out the S6's, and like 'em, go for it.

wow, yall have been a great help once again. i know.... no BOSE... my dad almost bought that once, they are crap, like the manilla paper i used in kindergarden. i am going to see what my family thinks of these...

the S6 looks like the best thing for my budjet, and the fact that they are all equal, no worry for me, and that they are all the same brand makes me happy. i know that buying different subs and fronts and all might make for a better sound, but i am for looks as much as sound. klipsch has great looks. thanks again... i will be looking here a lot to find some more info so keep posting... what is a good brand of amp? i have no clue... are amps the same as a reciever?

------------------

-justin

ViV

unfortionaly I dont know enough about Accoustic Deisign speakers.... someday I will.

But as you said, justin you should go check them out, if you like them, go for it.. its a nice setup.

As for the Television, its all up to Personal Preference realy, and the wallet...

Good Amps.. Look at Yamaha for your Price Level.

You can get a Stand along amp.. it just amplifys the signal and has all the inputs and stuff.

A Reciever Most of the has a Amp in it, but also has a AM FM tuner in it.

------------------

Living Room:

My Room:

Klipsch Pro Medias

2 Fisher Surrounds

Hey Justin.

If a full 5.1 setup isnt real important to you.

You may wanna look into getting a Good Yamaha Stereo(or another brand) Amp, with A and B swtiches, for 4 speakers...

Get 2 Pairs of Klipsch Heresys off Ebay for about 400-700 bucks.

Hook 1 pair up to the A switch, one to the B switch.

The speakers all together shouldnt cost you much more than the whole Synergy 6 system.. and will give you ALOT better quality, just with out a 5.1 setup.

Personaly, I would take this over the Synergys.

Especialy if you are going to listen to more music.

------------------

Living Room:

My Room:

Klipsch Pro Medias

2 Fisher Surrounds

i am going to check out those axium speakers right now. i think i have heard of them, like in a review. i went to a HT store yesterday and looked at the Martin Logan..... amazing amazing amazing amazing... wish i had $147,000 for that setup, huge plasma screen/ AGH! it was love at first site. thanks again

gtg

------------------

-justin

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Justin

Hows the system coming along?

Need some more help friend?

------------------

Living Room:

My Room:

Klipsch Pro Medias

2 Fisher Surrounds

i have been in the cayman islands so responding has been hard to respond. they are going to (my family) to Tweeter and get a look at the speakers you have mentioned.. gonna ask them in a few days how it is going. thanks again for the help

------------------

-justin