Advice - 7.1

HansHurt

Howdy folks, I currently have the Quintet II system w/ KSW-10 sub, and would like to utilize the 7.1 functionality of my receiver (Sony STRDA100ES), but as I am sure you are all aware, the Quintets aren't sold seperately.

Would two SF-1's for the front do the job (using the quintet's for surround) or are the RSX-4's in the front a better option? Btw, I am 50/50 on listening to music and watching movies.

What would you suggest?

I am on a tight budget (say $400.00)

Thank you

----------------

On 2/2/2004 5:24:21 PM HansHurt wrote:

Howdy folks, I currently have the Quintet II system w/ KSW-10 sub, and would like to utilize the 7.1 functionality of my receiver (Sony STRDA100ES), but as I am sure you are all aware, the Quintets aren't sold seperately.

Would two SF-1's for the front do the job (using the quintet's for surround) or are the RSX-4's in the front a better option? Btw, I am 50/50 on listening to music and watching movies.

What would you suggest?

I am on a tight budget (say $400.00)

Thank you

----------------

I wouldn't be so sure about not finding the Qunits individually, though I admit to not knowing the difference between the Quintet 1 and 2. However, I used to see the Quintet monitors on ubid and Vanns all the time when I was thinking about putting a small bedroom setup together, and there are several auctions on eBay right now for just single pairs in white or black. But I agree that you should keep the same "family" of speakers all around; even at the output levels of the Quintets, it will make for a much more uniform and seamless surround field.

I third the motion that using any kind of towers with the Quints is going to really screw up your surround field. No receiver will be able to successfully compensate for that massive a difference between the mains and the rest of the speakers, and your Quint center will be completely drowned out.

I'd check directly with Klipsch about buying a couple of "replacement" Quintet II sattelites. That's going to be your best timbre match.

Wow, thanks for the feedback.

Unfortunately, Klipsch said they don't sell the Quintet's in singles etc., although I didn't ask if they sell replacement speakers specifically; I will try again.

You're right about some Quintet micro theater 2-packs around the auction sites; might be the way to go. If I saw 2 silver QII's (longshot) I wouldn't hesitate.

Thanks again for the input.

P.S. WTB 2 silver QII's :)

if you have a quintet system 6 you can buy 2 SB1,if it is the quintet that you own i think you can find some satellites.

i m french and here we can buy a pair of quintet satellites 2 for about 460 euros:

check this:

http://www.general-radios.com/search/fiche.asp?ref_produit=KL-QUINT-ENC

they sell this pair exactly for what you are looking for (i ll try to translate the best way i can):

"ideal solution for an upgrade to a 7.1 system from a 5 channel quintet pack with KSW 10 sub"

there are also some klipsch a low price on the same site:

http://www.general-radios.com/actualites/fiche.asp?id_actu=21

so for about 470 euros you can buy a complete quintet pack or for 400 for a demonstration model.

"Attached" is a good word for it, but not in the way one might normally think of it; I am past my return/exchange time, therefore committed to the Quintets. Cutting my losses and switching to another setup would be too expensive. If I could start over I would do it differently; purchasing mid-range to higher-end speakers, not all at once, but as I could afford them, eventually creating a nice set.

Having said that, the QII's are pretty darn good, especially for the $399.00 + $299.00 for the KSW-10(CDN dollars) I paid for them.

Right now I could buy a pair of SF-1's for $479.00 CDN, and a SC-1 for $289.00 CDN.(prompting my original question), so if I could upgrade in that price range w/o making the Quintet's completely useless, I would do it....doesn't look like that path makes sense though.

----------------

On 2/4/2004 8:01:32 PM HansHurt wrote:

Right now I could buy a pair of SF-1's for $479.00 CDN, and a SC-1 for $289.00 CDN.(prompting my original question), so if I could upgrade in that price range w/o making the Quintet's completely useless, I would do it....doesn't look like that path makes sense though.

----------------

Over the long haul, SF-1's would be a poor upgrade choice anyhow. Even against their big brother SF-2 and SF-3's, the 1's are woefully inadequate - never mind the higher end Klipsch.

Complete your 7.1 Quint package, then work towards (a pair at a time) buying some RF, Heritage, or other high-end Klipsch towers - by the time you're done, you'll have a surround system board members will drool over! 2.gif11.gif9.gif

That is the way to go, if I start mismatching I won't be satisfied. Ultimately, I am never satasfied until I land something in the mid-high range...not "high" (not comfortable w/ $$ spent), and not "middle" (not satasfied w/ quality)..."mid-high" (the sweet spot). I'll wait till I get out of school and command a decent salary....although, the way things are going these days, a degree will probably land me a job as a taxi driver (not that there is anything wrong with that ;) ).

Voice(s) of reason prevailed.

Thanks,

~J.T. <-impulsive/compulsive buyer, bargain hunter, cab driver.

----------------

On 2/4/2004 8:23:00 PM HansHurt wrote:

although, the way things are going these days, a degree will probably land me a job as a taxi driver (not that there is anything wrong with that
;)
).

----------------

Nothing, except the part about working 12 hours a day, 6 days a week, and only making half what you run up on your meter. 14.gif

Glad to help. Believe me, it's painful, waiting and saving for the really good stuff. I'm still using my old two-channel system (not that I'm dissatisfied with the sound) because I didn't want to waste money on a low-end HT package knowing that it just wouldn't be good enough.

Sad part is, the way my bills are mounting and the way my income level is fluctuating, Dolby Digital will likely have been replaced by some bizzare 3-D sound system, and HDTV will have been replaced by holographic projectors or something by the time I have the spare cash to make my jump! 9.gif

Funny. :) Like I said that was my "fantasy" about my "dream" system; I am far from being in a position to afford that :/. Besides, after a little more research, $40,000 is needed for the amp and pre-amp alone...Mark Levinson was the manufacturer I believe. :) I was amazed at the equipment that is out there, and the $$$$ it costs.

BTW, I am actually a Zamboni driver(p/t), Power Engr.(boring, unemployed), and a re-born student(f/t), not actually a cab driver.....not that there is anything wrong with that :)

I am curious....I pay 14.5% taxes on virtually everything up here, what are taxes like in the U.S.?