comments on potential setup

Just1n20

so i won a bit on a scratch ticket 1.gif and i'm looking into a 2-channel setup. i'm staying with klipsch (naturally), and looking at seperate SS pre-amp/amp combinations, tube integrates, maybe even hybrids. problem is i'm no audiophile so i would like bass/treble controls. the most i'd like to spend on preamp/amp, speakers, and cd player is about $2500 not including cables. i know with my speaker options it makes a serious dent in budget, but if its more worth it to spend more on speakers then amp or vice versa, i'm willing to do so. my music tastes range from rock (Tool, Pink Floyd, and 311) to slower softer music (Sigur Ros, Radiohead, Mogwai) i do not own any DVD-A or SACD so i'm not looking for it, but i have quite a few HDCDs. and for future reference, amazing bottom end by the amp is not necessary, plan adding SVS subwoofer using an HSU Crossover between amp and pre-amp(crossover between 40-80hz).. so far this is what i've come up with.. i'm open to nearly all suggestions in the price range;

Pre-Amp/Amp

1) Parasound A23 amp and Parasound P/HP-850 preamp

2) Scott 299(B or C)

3) Parasound A23 amp and some tube pre-amp(?)

Speakers

1) Klipsch RF-35

2) Klipsch RF-5

3) Klipsch RF-7

CD Player

1) Music Hall CD25(someday i could get Response Audio tube output mod)

2) Cambridge Audio Azur 640C

3) CEC CD-3300

it was my second scratch ticket ever bought too9.gif even though should save it or use it toward school, i figure its easier to get the luxuries now then it will be when im out of college with a low paying job and too many bills and college loans to pay. otherwise ill never get the stereo stuff i want

i looked at LaScalas but i dont think i have the room for something that big, plus i need shipable items, im i school and dont have time to make long drives. im thinking scott 299C(for the higher wattage then 299 or 299B) because i want a decent amount of head room since i do listen to a lot of rock and im going to need the power. then Klipsch RF-5s or RF-7s. cd player i think im gunna go with music hall cd-25. that should leave me with some more money to spend on better interconnects

how would they compare to the RF7s though? i haven't heard a horn midrange before, i'd definitely love to. ill have to look for someone in MA to show them off for me. i loved the sound of RF-3IIs that i heard compared to the SF-2s that i have, which are obviously better, thats why i think im leaning more towards the RF7s. and if it ever came down to it that i fell in love with heritage, i could turn the rf-7s to home theater. needless to say im going to spend a few more weeks if not months researching and listening. but heritage is on the list of ideas still.

know of any good tube amp buys? i've basically decided to go with tubes. now im looking around. Scott 299C probably, maybe 299B because tubes are more available when looked up costs for replacement. i'd love to be able to use EL34s. my friend has a carvin amp head for his guitar and the change from 5881 to EL34 was amazing so im assuming it would be the same for a stereo. decisions, decisions. i'd go separates if i could, but thats out of budget, therefore i know my options are limited.

thanks

----------------

On 2/3/2004 4:51:22 PM DaddyDee wrote:

I think a nice Scott integrated and Chorus would be a killer combo. High appeal for college women, too!

----------------

Dad's right! I've got a 222-C and Chorus II's. Both cost about $1000 (including amp restoration). Their sound ain't shabby.

Keith

Don't forget about an Eico HF-81! I love the EL-84 sound. The only other tubes I have heard are the 6v6 and EL-34. The eico just doesn't have as much power as an EL-34 or 7591, but with RF-7's who needs an extra 10 watts. I listen to a lot of classic rock with 92db/w speakers and it gets plenty loud. I'm sure you would be happy with a 299c though!