Nice 78 Belle Klipsch with supposed history

Piranha

Pirhana, these are about as nice a veneer pattern as you can find! They had to be a custom order to get that striking and dominant markings, and the tech took great care to get a bookended set. You might see one, possible two more sets this year that are in the same league as these. I got lucky with mine- the wife told hubby to get rid of the big speakers today.

I wish these were hardwood rather than MDF underneath, but if you got the same looks with any new set of modern speakers, you would be writing a check for $10 to $20 large, without a doubt. They definitely deserve to reign in a significant room in someone's house on the forum3.gif

I just returned from an afternoon at my new friend Doug's house listening to his beautiful 78 Belle Klipsch's powered by a really clean Fisher 500. He confirmed to me that yes they were in fact originally ordered and owned by Engelbert Humperdink. He bought them from his estate and is the second owner. He has had them for about four years if I remember our conversation correctly.

Let me start by saying this, the sound was excellent! These speakers kick some serious a.s! Overall they are in excellent cosmetic condition. The right speaker has one small nick in the right front edge about a quarter to half inch in size, and a quarter size chip of the veneer is missing on the right rear bottom of the speaker. This same speaker has what appears to be a water ring on the top of it from a plant or something. The other speaker is near mint. I found no blemishes on it at all. As Sheltie Dave stated above, the pattern on these cabinets is stunning. There are visible seams on the sides of the cabinets though. Why didn't Klipsch use one piece of wood?

I have no idea what Belle's are worth in the current market? Anyone know what PaulParrot paid for his? The seller (Doug) has a BIN of $2250. The starting bid is $1,124.99. There are no bids so far and there are less than 5 days to go in a 7 day auction. Is he out of the ballpark on these? I am uncertain what his reserve is. I am guessing $2K. Is that too much?

After hearing and inspecting the Belle's, my new friend Doug invited me down to his basement (office) where he let me listen to his personal stereo. He had a pair of 10" early 1950 circa Tannoy Reds that sounded spectacular. I want to say they were IIILZ's?? I am not quite sure of the model, he told me and I forgot. He said he bought them at a garage sale for $65 which totally blew me away. Man, oh man do those things sing for what they are. Do any of you vets here know much about these Tannoys? I had heard of them of course, but I had never actually heard a pair of them until today.

Thanks,

I talked to the seller tonight. A guy in Irvine, CA (Orange County) bought them for the sellers full price of $2250. I must admit, he bought himself a gorgeous pair of Belle Klipsch with history behind them.

I had the opportunity to buy them. But, they were offered at more than I wanted to spend.

I would say a great deal. Most Belles seem to go in the 1600-1800 low sides.. To 2300-2800 depending on finish, age, and whaterver "it" is that you have to have "it" factor is..LOL. So a pretty good deal if this was "it" and what you were looking for. Nice to see them used and still in great shape.

I agree a good buy!