Some questions regarding our home theater

KAiN5 (banned )

We finally got our home theater up and running and WOW! We listened to the pod race at 0 dB on the A/V receiver and DAMN! Never heard anything like it! I haven't even calibrated it yet. Anyway, I do have some questions.

1. Will it be okay to place the speakers like this:

X X X

X X

2. When I have the A/V receiver turned on and the volume all the way down there is no hiss. But when I just turn it up to the point where the amp turns on, there is quite a bit of hiss. The volume of the hiss remains the same at full volume or at just above min volume. Why is this?

3. Why is it that when I put in a CD there is very little bass and the sound sounds very "tiny" and small? With DVDs the sound is fine.

4. During quiet passages of a movie, when there is dialogue from the center speaker, you can hear a hiss "accompany" the dialogue. But when they stop talking, the hiss goes away. Why?

For your question number one about the speaker placement its should be ok as long as you adjust the speaker distance difference on your reciever, it is measured by feet. obviously the other one is farther than the other. In regards of your bass management (not much bass) you mentioned you dont get much bass out....first of all you dont have a sub so you should set all your speakers to Large in your Reciver so it can all take frequencies in respect to its frequency response capability but its the mains that can only get the low level ones the most. When you get your sub in the future then set your speakers to small or you can leave the mains on large and the center and surrounds to small. Try this and you should be fine.

----------------

On 2/4/2004 12:34:28 PM KAiN5 wrote:

We finally got our home theater up and running and WOW! We listened to the pod race at 0 dB on the A/V receiver and DAMN! Never heard anything like it! I haven't even calibrated it yet. Anyway, I do have some questions.

1. Will it be okay to place the speakers like this:

X X X

X X

----------------

Yes, but only if your receiver allows you to adjust the back speakers individually. A lot of lower end units don't allow this.

----------------

2. When I have the A/V receiver turned on and the volume all the way down there is no hiss. But when I just turn it up to the point where the amp turns on, there is quite a bit of hiss. The volume of the hiss remains the same at full volume or at just above min volume. Why is this?

----------------

If that hiss is happening when the DVD player is on, you've got digital feedback in your AC line coming from the DVD player. Common problem. Get a line conditioner - preferably one with at least three discrete filter banks to isolate those components and alleviate the problem.

----------------

3. Why is it that when I put in a CD there is very little bass and the sound sounds very "tiny" and small? With DVDs the sound is fine.

----------------

Two reasons:

1) There isn't much sub-bass in most CD's anyway - standard mastering practice dictates roll-off beginning at @ 50Hz (I know - I moonlight as a mastering engineer)

2) You don't have a sub, nor do you have 5 full-size towers, either. There's only so much bookshelfs and/or sattelite speakers can do below 80Hz. Even those RF-7's can only push out so much bass. Also, make sure your receiver is not trying to send to the sub - most have a menu function to send the bass to either the mains or the sub or both.

----------------

4. During quiet passages of a movie, when there is dialogue from the center speaker, you can hear a hiss "accompany" the dialogue. But when they stop talking, the hiss goes away. Why?

----------------

See commentary above - and check your receiver's dynamic range compression settings. To eliminate these kinds of noises, you need to disable the receiver's internal compression system.

(edit) I'm a moron. I didn't notice your component list in your sig. Your components are definitely not to blame for any of the problems you're experiencing - except how you have them configured.

dont play it too loud. I tried to impress my friends with just the RF7s playing the matrix scene where neo takes off in the beginning of the movie. the 7s made their presense felt, but I didnt know if I was stressing the woofer. Its a good idea to get a sub, the 7s are best for midrange, i think...