Should I buy Cornwall or La Scala?

FLKlipscher

Hi,

I am new to the Klipsch Forum.

I have heard the La Scala and Cornwall about 10 years ago. My recollection of each is rather vague. I have a MC 240 and Marantz 7C with a Sony SACD player.

My question is this. Which speaker would be better suited for me as far as a 2 channel audio only system?

I would only be interested in input from idividuals who have either, 1. owned both speakers and who are preferably current owners of both, or 2. had the opportunity to engage in extensive listening of both speakers with similar amplification.

Thank you for any help you may be able to solicit to me.

FLK, welcome to the forum. I think you'll get lots of input on this one.

First, however, can you tell us a little about your musical tastes, e.g., jazz, rock, blues, rap (argh) ... This might affect which way you go.

Many consider the Cornwall to be a very fine jazz speaker. Mobile Homeless and Allan Songer both are jazz buffs who swear by the Cornwall. Allan uses McIntosh equipment as well so you might want to search back posts by his user id.

I have Cornwalls and find them very nice all round speakers, but they really shine with quality amplication and good sources.

I own the Belle which is very similar to the LaScala and am impressed by its speed and accuracy, very similar in fact to the Klipschorn. The Cornwall has a different sounding bass since it isn't horn loaded like the Belle or LaScala.

I've owned both LSs and Cornwalls and IMO the Cornwall is the better speaker. The LS doesn't go very deep because ot it's small basshorn, the result is a speaker I think has a poor tonal balance and that's somewhat "midrangey". The CW goes deeper and has a more natural tonal balance and is much more listenable in the long run; the CW sounds rich and full, the LS sounds lean and lacking, like a TV speaker with great dynamics.

The CW, compared to the LS, trades a little bit of lower midrange and bass clarity. The LS trades off lots of bass extension to use a comparatively (for a basshorn) small cabinet. Personally I'd take the compromises of the CW.

Given your musical tastes, you may find the LaScala more pleasing. It can crank and keep up with most of what you throw at it. The midrange on the LaScala can be interpreted as a little forward for some folks, because the bass is very fast.

Then there are those who add high-quality subs to the LaScalas and are very happy. I have a little problem with this philosophically, but heh, whatever floats your boat. If it makes you happy, go for it.

DeanG had some Cornwalls that he cranked with R&R, and claimed that they were boring holes in his forehead. He tweaked some of the amplification I think, and things smoothed out a bit (going from memory here; the usual disclaimers apply).

EDIT: Note that I own Cornwalls :)

I know you addressed your question to Tom so I don't mean to butt in.

What's your budget? There are SO MANY possibilities for you, but the best results are usually found with tube amps. Stroll through the last month or so of this 2-ch forum and you'll get lots of ideas.

Most popular (great value):

Vintage Scott Integrateds (222C, 299B/C/D); see Craig @ NOSValves or Ryan Inman

Eico HF-XX

Other push-pull arrangements (Dynaco, etc)

Most debated:

SET amps (2A3) vs. Push-pull

FLK----I used various things on the LSs including a Dynaco 400 and some Fisher tube stuff. Recently a friend was using LSs with an AudioNote SET amp and sure enough, they sounded just like LSs!

With the Cornwalls I used old Fisher tube stuff, an SA-100 amplifier. Sometimes I used a big Yamaha power amp, I forget the model. I also used them with Yamaha and Denon HT receivers, the Denon sounds better, smoother.

If I was buying an amp today I'd buy something cheap and serviceable, amps today are in a state of flux and I think that very soon we'll be seeing lots of cheap, very good sounding digital amps. I wouldn't spend much on anything right now. Maybe that Panasonic 6 channel HT receiver with the digital amps, goes for $300 or so. Lots of buzz about it on the amp forum at www.audioasylum.com Kurt Chang has one and says it sounds good, I haven't heard it yet. If you go old tube stuff go Fisher, much better IMO than Dynaco and Scott.

Mind this, what I prefer is my opinion, one man's preference is as valid as another's. Get out and do as much listening as possible before you commit.

----------------

On 2/5/2004 5:03:42 PM Chris Robinson wrote:

I know you addressed your question to Tom so I don't mean to butt in.

What's your budget? There are SO MANY possibilities for you, but the best results are usually found with tube amps. Stroll through the last month or so of this 2-ch forum and you'll get lots of ideas.

Most popular (great value):

Vintage Scott Integrateds (222C, 299B/C/D); see Craig @ NOSValves or Ryan Inman

Eico HF-XX

Other push-pull arrangements (Dynaco, etc)

Most debated:

SET amps (2A3) vs. Push-pull

----------------

I already own an MC 240 and Marantz 7C. So I have the amp and preamp covered.

I don't know what the going prices are but I guess I would be willing to spend up to $1200 on a mint pair of LaScala, or about $1000 on a mint pair of Cornwall. Is that too much? Do I need to pay more for them? I appears from what I have been reading in this Forum that the preference is the original Cornwall, not newer II's with MDF? And I take it that the older vintages of both LaScala and Cornwall are better? Like prior to 1980?

I don't mean to throw another cat in the fire, but have you considered Klipschorns? If you can accomodate their placement requirements, you would have to live with neither compromise inherent to the CW and LS. You'd get deep, extended, dynamic bass, with the larger mid horn. They can be had for not much more (and sometimes less, if you're patient and/or lucky) than the CW or LS.

LaScala, if you want more go to the Klipschorn. I got rid of my cornwalls in three weeks. I brought them back and traded up to the LaScalas. The Cornwalls wern't efficient enought, lacked a good midrange, and the bass wasn't as clean as the LaScala. But, I'm one of those who believes that only bass horns will do.

Welcome to the forum FLKlipscher. I use an MC240 with C22 and can HIGHLY recommend the Cornwalls. I ran CW's with the Mac gear for 15 years before selling the Cornwall's due to WAF. I never heard anything during that time that made me want to change.

I've replaced the Cornwalls with Klipsch RF5's stillusing the McIntosh gear. I would describe the current sound as different - not better nor worse. Tighter bass definition - less bass depth than the Cornwalls. The Cornwalls IMO are the closest you'll get to Khorns

----------------

On 2/5/2004 6:07:32 PM bclarke421 wrote:

I don't mean to throw another cat in the fire, but have you considered Klipschorns? If you can accomodate their placement requirements, you would have to live with neither compromise inherent to the CW and LS. You'd get deep, extended, dynamic bass, with the larger mid horn. They can be had for not much more (and sometimes less, if you're patient and/or lucky) than the CW or LS.

----------------

Thanks for the suggestion. Do Klipschorns require placement in corners? If they do, I cannot buy them. I have no corners without windows or doors very close by.

Thank you for all the input!

----------------

On 2/5/2004 7:18:17 PM Q-Man wrote:

LaScala, if you want more go to the Klipschorn. I got rid of my cornwalls in three weeks. I brought them back and traded up to the LaScalas. The Cornwalls wern't efficient enought, lacked a good midrange, and the bass wasn't as clean as the LaScala. But, I'm one of those who believes that only bass horns will do.

----------------

As I mentioned, I haven't heard either speaker in quite some time. That being sadi, I recall that I was a lot more impressed with the efficiency and bBass in the LaScala.

Now I am confused. Several people here say the LaScala lacks bass?. My recollection was that it was very punchy and sounded great for rock music?

Please help me solve my dilemna.

There's no dilemma, just different ideas of what sounds good.

Now it's an objective FACT that the bass of the LS is not extended, that the speaker lacks deep bass. However some people think that the quality of the bass the speaker does reproduce compensates for that and they like the speaker, there's no doubt that what bass it does reproduce is done very well. And some are evidently sensitive to the range between 400 and 600hz which comes from the woofer in the CW and from the mid driver in the LS and prefer the LS sound in that range.

Other people can't abide the bass-shy tonal balance of the LS, whatever it's other qualities, and prefer the more robust voice of the CW.

So there you go, take your pick, choose your compromise. Or get Khorns and put the whole thing to rest. :-)

----------------

On 2/5/2004 11:35:02 PM FLKlipscher wrote:

I will buy both the LaScala and the Cornwall used and B/B them. Then I will sell what sounds inferior to me. How can I go wrong like this?

Thanks everyone!

----------------

FLKlipscher,

Did you steal my equipment?9.gif Check out my signature. Very similiar.

I can't speak for lascalas but cornwalls will sound very nice with this setup. However, due to the big, warm sound of the mac, you may want to consider the lascalas. This is from someone who's a huge cornwall fan. I think the myth that lascalas are a little bass shy won't be an issue with the mac/marantz driving them. Either way you'll win. Good luck and keep us posted.

BTW - I have extensively listened to the mac/marantz combo with my cornwalls. I just need more juice to drive the altecs which is why they have been sent downstairs where I happen to spend more time and where I'm currently sitting (and listening).