Sony CE 775 SACD- praise it, bash it?

Woodog

I'm wanting to buy a Sony CE 775 SACD player.

Are there any reasons I should definitely stay away from this unit? The asking price is $150.

I have a bathroom that has been neglected while I went after Cornwalls and Heresys and Tubes...

I want to improve the audio from my BestBuy $89 Mitsubishi DVD/CD player, but I'm also going to be a responsible adult and do some home maintenance (before I fall through the floor).

thoughts?

thanks in advance for all replies, pro and con.

Forrest

I say go for it. The ES units are great stock with a good build quality. For 150 bucks I dont think you can go wrong. See how you like it and when you have a few extra ducats spring for the mods at SACDmods.com He did my 222es and its spectacular!

josh

----------------

On 2/6/2004 9:58:21 PM joshnich wrote:

I say go for it. The ES units are great stock with a good build quality. For 150 bucks I dont think you can go wrong. See how you like it and when you have a few extra ducats spring for the mods at SACDmods.com He did my 222es and its spectacular!

josh

----------------

Josh,

How much to mod your 222 if you don't mind me asking? I'm thinking of getting one of my 555s done. Is it really that significant of a difference? What exactly did they do (in layman's terms)?

----------------

Josh,

How much to mod your 222 if you don't mind me asking? I'm thinking of getting one of my 555s done. Is it really that significant of a difference? What exactly did they do (in layman's terms)?

----------------

Hello Gary,

I paid 350.00 for the mods. It would have been 325.00 if I just did two channel. But even though I have never used the multi channel capabilities I figured I would get the whole thing done. I cant really describe it laymens terms because I dont understand it in tech terms. Go to his site SACDmods.com and it lists what and why. From what I have heard and read on other threads his mods will make the 555 into a pretty much state of the art SACD player. From my perspective the mods were a very noticeable upgrade. The sound was much more vinyl like very liquid and open. I would never have described the un modded deck as being harsh but the mods definitely smoothed it out. Put it this way - when I got the unit back and hooked it up (before the recommended burn it) my wife walked in not knowing I had done anything and said " what did you do to the stereo it sounds really good" !!

Josh

Marksdad,

There is a big debate on just the question you ask, and there can't be a definitive right or wrong answer.

But no one claims, even the modders themselves, that they can make a $3000 quality player out of a $500 player (list prices). Maybe you could roughly estimate that an expensive mod would take it up a level or two. But if the mod is excessively expensive, you could have just bought a stock machine a level or two up already.

All the modders of SACD machines, and there are quite a few famous ones, have different ideas on the best approach to altering a player. They can't agree, and neither can the consumers. But it's nice to have all the choices.

Audiogon has modded SACD players for sale fairly regularly. These sell for less than the original owners have put into them. That might not be a bad way to go, provided you luck out and get a good seller.

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 2/8/2004 9:44:57 AM T2K wrote:

You smokin' something here lately MD?

Keith

----------------

T2K why the heck don't you give some constructive info, instead of being such an ahole all the time?

MarksDad

I agree with Paul, if you cna find a modded miachine from a good seller, thats a fine way to go. I feel that an unmodded higher end player with SUBSTANTIAL warantee left, and from a good seller is the best way, Or check out demo's and closeouts. Just MHO2.gif

Smilin

I bought my 222ES SCD used for $300 about a year ago. I have been very pleased with it, except for the dearth of SACD's (although www.towerrecords.com has quite a few).

The mod thing is something I won't do, until I would get a chance to A-B a vanilla and modded player. Call me a cynic, but I gotta hear it, and hear it side by side (all other things being equal) to believe it.

That being said, I've no desire to mess with my 222ES! I'd spend more on the mod. Kind of like the Klappenburger X-overs for my Cornwalls... it'd cost as much as the Corns! Now, if i were starting from scratch, the $150 775 plus the $350 upgrade would be compelling, although I'd be interested in hearing it first.

Mace