Help with crossover design

greg928gts

Over the last few months, I've been spending a little time here and there working on a crossover for my Khorns to be used specifically with a biamp setup. I was getting help from a forum member, but I think they have run out of patience with my questions.

I'm looking for someone here who wouldn't mind corresponding with me via email to help me design a crossover. I think I'm 75% of the way there right now, I just need more specific information on the components to use, and I have a few more basic questions.

I understand enough about this stuff to be dangerous! Seriously, I do know the basic theory of a crossover, with a little explanation I can understand what each component does in the crossover, and I can physically build the unit. My problem is, I don't know what a 56uF is when I see it on a plan, nor do I necessarily want to know! I just want someone to help put my ideas into a plan and give me a specific list of the components to use.

Greg

Talk to Al , or visit his web site to get the low down on the crossover for your application.

Here's the web site....www.alkeng.com

Remember, AL is a consultant, and if you are truely interested in learning you may be required to pay for his services. Or better yet, scope out amazon.com for some reference material and read.

I don't believe in "designing" a crossover unless you can actually model the drivers together with the circuit. You HAVE to know almost everything about the drivers. The whole thing is hit and miss without the right information, and modeling software is a must as well (unless you are a walking combination calculator/encyclopedia like PWK).

Why all this trouble, why not just build some ALKs and split the crossover? However, if you are using tube gear -- this is a bad idea. Mark and Leo did a pretty good job of convincing me that tube amps can get very unhappy when trying to do this sort of thing.

Greg,

If I were building crossovers, I'd be in a similar situation, not being a techie type. Dean makes a pretty good point about taking a design that is tried and true. Al has got parts' lists and vendors etc. on his website as well as pics on the gear.

Another option, and simpler to build would be a type A crossover. I think there are some schematics and pics archived on the forum, too.

Good luck with your project.

p.s. What crossovers are in your Khorns right now. There is also some good info on mods to existing stock crossovers.