Image quality from DirecTV vs. Dish satellite

RichardP

----------------

On 2/16/2004 3:20:40 PM Thors1982 wrote:

I am at school now so I can't go check it. I am almost positive there is no Dolby Digital symbol on the fron of my cable box. I have a Digital Cable box and when I watch certain movies on HBO my reciever auto switches over to Dolby Digital.

Does that mean I have DD or not?

----------------

That means it's DD capable, just that the manufacturer of the box didn't feel like slapping the DD symbol on it.

With the RCA DirecTV boxes, they make sure the DD symbol is prominently displayed on the true DD box so they can justify charging you $169 for the tiny bit of extra circuitry in it.

When they first dropped those non-DD boxes with the optical outs, we were all fooled. At the BB I used to work at, the salespeople and customers alike were ecstatic about the idea that they were giving everyone DD capability in the free package.

Boy were we all shocked when the first customer came back saying "nope, it's just stereo"

----------------

On 2/16/2004 9:44:45 PM Thors1982 wrote:

damn adelphia

----------------

Indeed. In our town, Adelphia has been given one year to shape up, then they lose their contract for servicing the city. My boss is practically drooling (his primary business before I showed up was satellite installation) over the idea of Adelphia being kicked out of Lynchburg, because Cox and Nesbe have both declined to bid on the contract when offered the opportunity.

Well, to wrap up this thread... I called Dish to see if they would give me a good deal on a receiver upgrade to one with true Dolby Digital output. Only their digital video recorder models have true DD out. They currently offer one for $99. I told them that was a bit much, considering I only wanted the DD out, and am not really interested in the VDR capability. They then said that because I was a good customer (I pay $80/mo for the full movie package), they would sell me one for $60. I said I would think about it, and they said they would put a note in my account record about the offer for when/if I chose to take it. Called back one day later, and guess what? No record of the $60 offer, now only the $99 offer. I talked to two different persons, and both claimed that no one could have authorized a $60 VDR receiver offer. Those lying SOBs! I guess it's back to DirecTV. It sucks when there are only two games in town, and both leave a lot to be desired, both technically and especially in the customer service dept.

Simple answer. Call up and tell them that you're switching to direcTV if they don't give you the PVR free. Tell them you're tired of being treated like a second-class citizen, even though you've been loyal for years, while new customers get the red carpet treatment (a new customer can get a three-room package including either a PVR or an HDTV receiver for FREE)

(edit)

On second thought, demand the HDTV receiver free.

I bet they jump when you start threatening to leave.

I know a guy who did the same thing with DirecTV - he told them "there's no way I'm paying $600 for a DirecTV HD receiver when I can just switch to Dish Network and get one for nothing!"

They sold it to him for $199 - first the Hughes E86, then the Samsung unit after he sent the Hughes back (hated it)