Another DRD45 Epiphany has emerged...................

Cut-Throat

I have been listening to my DRD45s for a couple months now and enjoying them immensely.

Last night I was listening to the Klispch Belles with the DRD45s and a Sudden thought popped into my mind - THESE AMPS ARE TAPPED FOR 16 OHMS !!!!

My original plan was to use these amps for 16 ohm speakers and I never changed them over. Well, this morning I reconfigured the amps to be 8 ohms and hooked them back up to my 8 ohm Belles.

I have been listening all afternoon and everthing is much, much better! More powerful, stronger, dynamic! Can't really put my finger on it but this amp is controlling the speakers like never before! - I liked this amp before; better than my Moondogs. Now it is even better!

Maybe, some of you engineering geniuses can explain this in technical terms, as I can only explain it with what I hear.

2 thumbs up for the DRD451.gif

Well,

I had already been salivating over the idea of getting a pair of DRD 45's. That was just on your earlier posts. Now they wound better? I don't know if I can stand it.

BTW, one thing I was wondering about this week as I was looking at the Welborne site and Geo Wright's site. I noticed that for both the price for the 45 amp is significantly more than for 2A3. Why is this? What's in them that would make them cost more?

Daddydee,

"I was looking at the Welborne site and Geo Wright's site. I noticed that for both the price for the 45 amp is significantly more than for 2A3. Why is this? What's in them that would make them cost more"

I just checked the Welborne Site and to me it looks like they are exactly the same price for the same configuration. I checked Ultimate Parts without Power tubes and Tube rectification - both are $1490

Bob,

Yes I built this from a Welborne Kit.

The Welborne DRD is supposedly based on the electraprint design, but I have never looked at the schematic on the Electraprint site.