KLF20 vs RF-3

Gnomore

Gnomore!

Charlotte! My ol' home town! Audio Video Systems on South and Independence Blvds! Klipsch dealers for the Queen City! My mom lived in Raintree! I lived off Sharon Amity!

Sorry everybody. Hard to control my exuberance sometimes.

Oh, yeah the speaker question! KLF 20s all the way baby! No comparison!

I would go with the KLF 20's. The appearance difference was enough for me. I looked at the RF-3 and thought good for a college student, not someone that wants to build their long range system. I was able to demo both of them in the same store and was really impressed with the 20's. They were even set up in a home theater system. I used the "Matrix" for the demo. The guy smiled at me and said how loud do you like it? I said crank it up, so he closed the doors and proceeded to make my freaking ears bleed!!!!

You will love the 20's or you can send them to me and I will keep them for you. LOL!!!!!!!

I can only compare the KLF-30 (which I have) and the RF-3 (which a friend has). The KLF-30 has more slam and emotion and is extremely involving. The RF-3, though, has more detail and finesse. I hear more things on my friend's RF-3 (using a similar receiver) than I do with my KLF-30s. That hurts. However, having to choose one of the two, I would definitely choose the KLF-30. You get really attached to a Legend model.

Thanks for the advice.. although the WAF may force me to get the RF-3s cwm36.gif We'll see how well I can convince her. Maybe I can get her to listen to them and hear the difference. Thats how I convinced her that we didn't want the RB-3.

Mr. Blorry: yep, Audio Video Systems.. but they have recently been bought out by Tweeter. The one thing I hate about buying Klipsch in Charlotte is that they are the only people that sell them here so their price matching doesnt help. Generally have to buy them at retail price.

This message has been edited by Gnomore on 06-24-2001 at 01:43 PM

Well, I did it. I convinced her to let me get the Legends (Although I think she is going to have free reign with putting up curtains in the new house now.)They only had black available but that was ok. They sound great! The only problem now is that they completely outclass my center (which is ancient and was like a $20 speaker).. I guess that will be my next purchase whenever I'm allowed to spend money again.

Might be a little hard finding the Legend series center channel pretty soon. The legends have already been discontinued. The new RC-7 for the reference series is pretty similiar to the KLF-C7 though, so that will probably work fine if you can't find the C7 anywhere.

------------------

Brad

Legend Series KLF-20s and KLF-C7...still hoping to get the S6's someday!

In considering a center channel speaker one thing that I would think about is the size. I currently have a RC-3 center. I only keep it adjusted maybe one or two levels above my two RF-3 towers. It has performed great. I can hear every whisper in any movie.

No doubt the RF-7's are a better speaker. The thing to ask is if the size and the $800 vs. $350 price tag is worth having the better speaker.

Dimensions:

3's - 7.9" (20.1cm) x 22.9" (58.2cm) x 9" (22.8cm)

7's - 9" (23cm) x 26" (66.5cm) x 12" (30.7cm)

My local Klipsch dealer told me that the reason Klipsch came out with the RF-5 and 7 series is because the RF-3's exceeded their wildest expectations. I am just wondering if we are paying a premium now for responding to such a well-made speaker.

If you can talk the Wife into the 7's let me know how you did it. I know I would get shot down the second the word speaker came out of my mouth.

Congrats on convencing the wife.

Enjoy Smile.gif

------------------

Living Room:

Yamaha Natural Sound A-500 Stereo Amplifier

2 Klipsch Heresys on A switch

2 Fisher STV-873 on B switch

My Room:

Klipsch Pro Medias

2 Fisher Surrounds

Nuckle:

Actually the real reason for the new Reference product was to get to the next level in sound and to offer our customers a better series of choices. Unless a person was buying a Heritage product, many, many times on both the retail floor and on this forum we heard that the confusing choice in Klipsch sound was either the "slam" of the Legend series or the "detail" of the Reference series, making the choice even more unclear if the customer wanted something other than a black cabinet.

That's when the decision was made to come out with speakers that offered the benefits of both. That is where the RF-5 and RF-7 come from. The RF-7 is it if you want it all, the RF-5 and the RF-3 are logical steps down if size and cost are a major consideration. Yet, no matter which model is chosen, we feel the customer will get a speaker that will blow away any competition in the same price range of that particular speaker. Power and detail are what we are all about, no matter how much you want to spend...

PhilH