Driver upgrades for La Scala's

J.4knee

Does anyone know who manufactures the K 77 F tweeter driver Klipsch now uses in their Khorns, Belles and La Scalas? Or who manufactures a suitable substitute. Ive read where new High Freq drivers were available for older heritage series speakers and I was just wondering if anyone out there had some suggestions. I plan on getting a set of ALK Series A crossovers for my La Scalas from Al and am interested in upgrading the Hi freq driver to something a little less colored

Wait until you get your ALKs and get them attenuated right and broken in before you do any wholesale changes. The ALK network has a sharper cut off slope at the lower end of the tweeter freq's which cleans up the tweeter quite a bit. It also has a low pass for the squaker which reduces the overlap between the drivers. Just MHO.

Rick

Call Klipsch and buy a set of "Z" brackets that mount the tweeters flush with the front of the cabinet. They help a lot! You will have to enlarge the tweeter hole to use them. They are now installed at the factory on La Scalas as well as the Belle and K-horn.

----------------

On 2/12/2004 12:49:33 PM John Albright wrote:

Call Klipsch and buy a set of "Z" brackets that mount the tweeters flush with the front of the cabinet. They help a lot! You will have to enlarge the tweeter hole to use them. They are now installed at the factory on La Scalas as well as the Belle and K-horn.

----------------

Would you not have to remove / replace or reinstall the speaker cloth to inlarge the tweeter hole ? ( on a k-horn or belle )

Is this mod audible to the point of being noticable ?

Thanks for the tips guys. I will wait until I get the ALK's first. I am planning on refinishing them and I wanted to do everything in 1 fell swoop. But I think I will refinish them and install the ALK's when I get them and evaluate further from there.

R/Jim

I took the tweeters out of my khorns and mounted them vertically on a block on top which when combined with Al's ALK crossovers made a noticable difference (clearer, more open, less harsh). This was further improved by using a tube amp and external DAC processing for CDs and room accoustical treatments. Very satisfing when you find the right combination but it took a lot of experimentation and info from this site.

----------------

On 2/12/2004 10:58:12 PM John Albright wrote:

Would you not have to remove / replace or reinstall the speaker cloth to inlarge the tweeter hole ? ( on a k-horn or belle )

Is this mod audible to the point of being noticable ?

Yes and Yes.
1.gif

----------------

Hello Everyone1.gif I've been visiting the forum since December

and greatly enjoy it. First time I have posted so I hope it turns

out right.

I bought a pair of (79)KHorns in 1990 and decided to use the

"Z" bracket mount for the tweeter. I was able to increase the Tweeter mounting hole without removing the grille cloth by

removing the Tweeter/Squaker mounting board. I made two protective plates by using masking tape over some aluminum flashing and then sliding these between the grille cloth and baffle board to protect the cloth. I then made a picture frame style guide and centered and clamped it to the baffle board so that my hand router could cut out the correct size hole. I made several small passes till the hole was enlarged all the way through.

I feel this modification adds clarity and smoothness in the tweeter's freq. range and was well worth the effort to me!!!

"Gezzzz JOHN !!! Your short answers scare the crap out of me ."

LOL!!

A lot of that depends on how much my wife is complaining about my normal explanations. She says I can't give you the time without teaching you how to build a clock.

"Hi. My name is John and I'm an engineer."

"Hi, John."