Cornwall Contortions?

mungkiman

I am not able to run Boxplot or like programs on my Mac, and would appreciate any technical or theoretical advice any of you have to offer. My questions pertain to potential Cornwall mods, and I hope you have the patience to look past my ignorance and explain your answers.

1. If I were to build a cabinet 2" deeper than the Cornwall, but 4.5" shorter (to maintain similiar cubic volume), AND the drivers and port pointed out a side instead of the front, could I expect similiar performance?

2. If I were to build a corner Cornwall, maintaining the same cubic volume and motorboard, but making a 5 sided box (essentially an enclosed Shorthorn), could I expect similiar performance?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

----------------

On 2/13/2004 10:11:28 PM mungkiman wrote:

I am not able to run Boxplot or like programs on my Mac, and would appreciate any technical or theoretical advice any of you have to offer. My questions pertain to potential Cornwall mods, and I hope you have the patience to look past my ignorance and explain your answers.

1. If I were to build a cabinet 2" deeper than the Cornwall, but 4.5" shorter (to maintain similiar cubic volume), AND the drivers and port pointed out a side instead of the front, could I expect similiar performance?

2. If I were to build a corner Cornwall, maintaining the same cubic volume and motorboard, but making a 5 sided box (essentially an enclosed Shorthorn), could I expect similiar performance?

Thanks in advance,

Chris
----------------

Chris,

Check out odds&mods......VOTT Inspired Cornwalls.....

Regards,

Terry

1) As long as you keep the internal air volume the same (+/- 5%) then you should be okay with the new enclosure size. As for the ports, you really don't want to port them out the side because doing could lead to some nasty port noise (and less effecient venting). It's always best to port on the front of rear. Keep in mind you can change from the slotted port to multiple round ports. You just want to keep the cross-sectional area the same (or else you will need to change the length of the port). You might also want to consider flared ports; you'd have to make them longer (to compensate for the flares) but they are much less prone to port noise.

2) Yes.

For my curiosity only: What would happen if mungkiman ported his corner Cwall clones down the back side instead of joining the back angles? Deeper bass? Distorted bass?

Would it be better then to put a larger top on to fit into the corner?

It's not that I'm stupid, (I heard that!)I'm just not all that savy on enclosure design.1.gif

Rick

Rick,

I see this idea as the "missing link" in Shorthorn to Cornwall evolution. Good idea? I don't know.

I have Shorthorns, which port through a vertical slot in the rear, and have a top that is larger than the "doghouse" for this sound to come around the sides and into the room.

I also have Cornwalls. I like the sound of the Cornwalls better than the Shorthorn, but the looks of the Shorthorn better than the Cornwalls. Your idea is a good one, but it's for a larger Shorthorn. I am looking for a smaller (footprint) Cornwall, but thanks for the ideas.

Chris