Question about Khorns

hoggy

Does the differnce in a Khorn with the spacer inbetween the bass bin and the Squawker/tweeter and the model without the spacer sound any differnt? Why did Klipsch offer these in 2 differnt configurations or was it a manufacturing year thing? Would it be a fair trade to trade Walnut Oiled Belles for unfinished (unveneered) plywood Khorns in equal shape?

Thx guys,

hoggy

They used to be offered in 3 different styles any given year. The 2 you mentioned and a 3rd with out top or sides for the midhorns and tweets. Three different price points as well. No difference in sound from what I've heard, but I haven't heard the last one I mentioned. I think the Belles, if they are in fantastic shape are probably worth more, than unfinished Khorns. Khorns seem to come up for sale alot more than Belles, so the law of supply and demand is a factor. 9.gif

Guess I should be more specific in the description of the Khorns I'm looking at. They have the grills and the plywood looks finished. They aren't vennered though. My Belles aren't in "fantastic" condition but are in very fine condition. They have some very minor scratches on top where photo frames have marked them. These are very minor and could be sanded out easily. However in anything but direct light one would have to look for them. I wouldn't want someone to feel I was trying to get the better of them in my description of their Khorns if I was to make him an offer.

hoggy

I don't know what you mean by "unveneered". Are they Raw Birch? In which case you could just apply the finish of your choice w/out veneering. Unless of course, you want something more exotic looking.3.gif If raw birch is the case, I think that would be a fair trade. If you didn't live all the way in WA, I'd consider trading you my Khorns for your Belles.9.gif

That decision would be yours to offer and Ki's to accept. The fact that he is probably selling his least desirable set and you are selling a set that should slide into the living room in good shape, should give you a leg to stand on. The difficult part is you both need to see what is on the table so you can reach a consensus, which would mean a trip to Seattle with an agreement to buy and the handshake to be worked out.

There are few speakers prettier than the Belles and few better than the Khorns!