WHICH BRAND OF WIRING???

vandec54

----------------

On 2/19/2004 1:14:30 AM Griffinator wrote:

----------------

On 2/18/2004 7:46:38 PM minn_male42 wrote:

they own or oversee the copper mines and copper refinery?????

i don't think so....

----------------

Actually, it's true. Ultralink's #1 focus is on the purity of their copper. Every cable they put out is made from 6-nine (99.99998% pure) copper. How do they support the claim? They're tight with their ore supplier, and they work directly with the refinery. They have three factories - one in the US for fabbing the copper strand, two in Toronto for cable assembly.

Monster, Recoton, Radio Shack, and a number of other brands? They design the cables and bid them out to Chinese contractors. No way to prove any of their claims.

----------------

ok...........

but basically the question still remains..... (and has never been proved in any controlled test).... does a "6-nine (99.99998% pure) copper" sound any better than copper with only 5-nines... or 4-nines.... or copper alloy mixed with another metal..... or silver.... or gold??????????

the claim may be true.... but it is still more marketing than anything else....

i don't want to start the whole "cable debate" again..... but you have to look at "6-nine (99.99998% pure) copper" comment for what it's main intent is...... marketing......

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 2/19/2004 8:39:17 AM minn_male42 wrote:

i don't want to start the whole "cable debate" again.....

----------------

That's cool, I'm not trying to start it up again, either. Let my comment on Ultra be summed up as such: They've got more consistent QC than a lot of companies out there. That is an inarguable fact, and one that has real value to their customers.

----------------

On 2/18/2004 9:53:06 PM Griffinator wrote:

I don't know that I'd use that as a digital coax, but I wouldn't have any problems using it as an analog interconnect!

How much did those ends set you back?

----------------

These are " NOT " digital cables . Please don't make them for that use or you'll likly be disapointed.

We used lots of wireless mic setups on stage and these cables did a good job of " not " picking up air born signals.

Cost , our stage manager bought the RCA's by the case lot and cable by the spool so it's hard to brake down the cost of a single cable.

I'd say the cardas ends are likly $8 to $12 each and cable around 50 cents per foot.

I prefure these RCA to the crimped ones just because they use a solder joint.

----------------

On 2/19/2004 11:20:41 AM BackBurner wrote:

I'd say the cardas ends are likly $8 to $12 each and cable around 50 cents per foot.

I prefure these RCA to the crimped ones just because they use a solder joint.

----------------

Well there ya go! $32-48 for ends (4) plus $6 for cable (6ftx2) and you've got a $38-54 6-foot audio interconnect (pair)

Guess Signal/Cobalt/Ultralink ain't as expensive as we thought they were, eh? 9.gif

Retail prices are in the ball park with other cables on the market, i rang a friend of mine this morning (he's still in the industry) he's cranking them out around $30.00 for a meter long pair.

throw your labour and other supplies on top and there's no real savings to be had . Just the thought of making them and learning something new along the way.

If your not inclined to the whole DIY thing , your better off buying cables like colbalt .

----------------

On 2/19/2004 1:25:03 PM BackBurner wrote:

Retail prices are in the ball park with other cables on the market, i rang a friend of mine this morning (he's still in the industry) he's cranking them out around $30.00 for a meter long pair.

throw your labour and other supplies on top and there's no real savings to be had . Just the thought of making them and learning something new along the way.

If your not inclined to the whole DIY thing , your better off buying cables like colbalt .

----------------

That was precisely what I was inferring - if you use good ends and reasonable quality cable then your going to spend about as much as you would for upper-mid-grade prefab cables. It's definitely a good idea to learn to make your own cables if you're constantly needing them for various applications, and even the home user can benefit from it, if only for personal enrichment reasons.

Now esoteric stuff that costs several thousand a meter? Well, let's just say I'm still skeptical.

2.gif

Russ : Your totaly correct about the less expensive RCA's .

The reason we made our cable like this was for strength as much as sound quality. The ends are solder'ed not crimped connections and the RCA's are a good quality that " resist " corrosion due to transport issues all the time.

They would all get chucked into a transport crate.

we would connect and disconnect say 100 pairs of these 7 or 8 times a week, when the guys get a little tired ( tearing down at 3:00 am ) they tended to get a little rough with things .2.gif

The key is the 128 strand oxegen free copper cable , put whatever termination you desire and your good to go.

----------------

On 2/19/2004 5:40:24 PM BackBurner wrote:

Russ : Your totaly correct about the less expensive RCA's .

The reason we made our cable like this was for strength as much as sound quality. The ends are solder'ed not crimped connections and the RCA's are a good quality that " resist " corrosion due to transport issues all the time.

They would all get chucked into a transport crate.

we would connect and disconnect say 100 pairs of these 7 or 8 times a week, when the guys get a little tired ( tearing down at 3:00 am ) they tended to get a little rough with things .
2.gif

The key is the 128 strand oxegen free copper cable , put whatever termination you desire and your good to go.

----------------

all the switchcraft and neutrik RCA connectors are solder connectors.....

additionally... if you connect and disconnect alot corrosion is not an issue.... it can't corrode if you always are pushing them on and taking them off....

they are not made of some exotic metal...but the nickel plated connectors are very corrosion resistant...

here are the switchcraft connectors...

http://www.onlinecomponents.com/default.cfm?ref=g&CFID=855012&CFTOKEN=8458642

jacks_143photo.gif

here is the link to the parts express page for the neutrik NYS352

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=092-110

Part Number 092-110

1.gif