Why im not buying the DD5.1

Erukian

I guess you can call this a rant, but i would REAALLLLY like to see these features in the dd5.1

DTS NEO - Movies/Music

Prologic IIx - Movies/Music

Dolby Digital EX

DTS ES

2x optical in

2x spdif in

If Klipsch had that, they would kill creative's option. AFAIK lots of peeps are buying Creatives decoder instead of the DD5.1 just because it can do a lot more. Off the bat I don't think people care about the quality of the DAC's (comparing DD5.1's to Creatives) or the Bass Management or the 5 Channel Equalization. They want 'features'. And you know im right. People like me want their DD5.1's to make up for the lack of features that shipped with the Promedia's, like Digital connectivity so we can let Klipsch DAC's do the music and not our crappy soundcards.

I'm on a limb about to buy the DD5.1 but Klipsch released _zero_ information about the DAC's they use so I have no idea how it sounds, and I cant buy one at bestbuy then return it. If anyone could give me the codec of the DAC then that would be super nice Amy or someone. I mean just little things like is it AC97 or no?

Thanks again,

Joe

----------------

On 2/17/2004 2:59:04 PM Erukian wrote:

I guess you can call this a rant, but i would REAALLLLY like to see these features in the dd5.1

DTS NEO - Movies/Music

Dolby Digital EX

DTS ES

2x optical in

2x spdif in

If Klipsch had that, they would kill creative's option. AFAIK lots of peeps are buying Creatives decoder instead of the DD5.1 just because it can do a lot more. Off the bat I don't think people care about the quality of the DAC's (comparing DD5.1's to Creatives) or the Bass Management or the 5 Channel Equalization. They want 'features'. And you know im right. People like me want their DD5.1's to make up for the lack of features that shipped with the Promedia's, like Digital connectivity so we can let Klipsch DAC's do the music and not our crappy soundcards.

I'm on a limb about to buy the DD5.1 but Klipsch released _zero_ information about the DAC's they use so I have no idea how it sounds, and I cant buy one at bestbuy then return it. If anyone could give me the codec of the DAC then that would be super nice Amy or someone. I mean just little things like is it AC97 or no?

Thanks again,

Joe

----------------

Actually I believe the DDTS-100's(creative)DAC may be of better quality than the DD-5.1. The DDTS uses a 96khz/24bit burr brown DAC(found this out on an intl. website..forgot which one)while the dd-5.1 most likely uses the same 48khz/16bit DAC found in this similar decoder:

http://www.achome.com.tw/decoders%20price.htm

scroll down the page some and you will see what i'm talking about. So all all, the ddts may be the best deal you can think of at this moment.

----------------

On 2/18/2004 12:04:41 AM TheEliteOne wrote:

Hey wallywal, what kinda soundcard u got?? Just curious. =P

----------------

FWIW, my PC isnt "cutting edge". I dont even use my ultras with my pc(still use the 2.1 thx). But im thinking about buying this receiver in conjunction with my cs-3xjr and the ultras:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4153_34976,00.h

tml

with this receiver, I can bypass the amp and just use the decoding since the ddts just aint cuttin it6.gif. Oh to answer your question, I have a sound blaster 16 in my PC...lol5.gif

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

with this receiver, I can bypass the amp and just use the decoding since the ddts just aint cuttin it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How could you possibly do that ?

If Klipsch wants to sell the DD-5.1 to go with the ProMedia speakers, then DTS Neo6, PLIIx, DD-EX, and DTS-ES are features that cost money, but can't be used with their products.

DSP is the same Motorola part used in the Aragon Soundstage, The CODEC is CS4226.

The sound quality is as good an any I've heard, you won't be disappointed.

-Andy W

----------------

On 2/17/2004 2:59:04 PM Erukian wrote:

DTS NEO - Movies/Music

Dolby Digital EX

DTS ES

2x optical in

2x spdif in

Thanks again,

Joe

----------------

----------------

On 2/18/2004 3:14:26 AM newmm wrote:

with this receiver, I can bypass the amp and just use the decoding since the ddts just aint cuttin it.

----------------

This receiver has preamp outputs for all 7 channels which allows for the speakers to be powered by an external amp(eg promedia ultra). And for the price, you can't beat that with a stick5.gif

if it is true that the DD5.1 uses CS4226 DSP, the same SimAudio Moon preamp also uses CS2446 DSP.

btw, a well designed 16bit d/a can still sound better then the average 24bit d/a

IMHO, the DD5.1 music production sounds a hella better then my Audigy2. Audigy is a lil too harsh and artificial. The biggest difference is the bass.

also the same decoder cost 5k, so that in american dollars is well over $500 believe.

----------------

On 2/18/2004 3:14:26 AM newmm wrote:

----------------

This receiver has preamp outputs for all 7 channels which allows for the speakers to be powered by an external amp(eg promedia ultra). And for the price, you can't beat that with a stick

=======================================================================================================

I mean if you feed dd/dts compressed signals to ddts for decoding, then ddts would do decoding and preamp as well, regardless you like it or not. There are only 1 set of 5.1/6.1 preamped output from ddts. Or maybe you can open the box and design a circuitry to tape the decoded_only signals from the box.

----------------

On 2/18/2004 9:50:05 AM ProMedia Tech 2 wrote:

How much are you willing to spend on a unit with all those features??

----------------

200 dollars

and keep in mind good receivers can be had for 400-500 dollars but they come with more substantial hardware like amps that have 100watts into 6 or 7 channels, which the DD 5.1 does not need. a 500 watt amp can eat up at least 1/2 the cost of a receiver if not more, plus the receiver needs a lot more input/output stuff for video and what not.

agreed + I would like to see standard anolog input with a switch feature so EAX still works. Also minijack input/output is stardard for MM not mono RCA, i think that needs to change.

======================================================================================

ddts comes with a break box. It functions as a multiplexer to allow you switching manually between ddts preamped output and preamped output from soundcard or any other preamped output, such as receiver. If preamped output is selected, it will bypass dtss and then let it drive speaker amp directly, like ultra. Well you can argue why not integrate it to the ddts box and then allow users to switch among them using remote or front panel. But that will make the ddts box not so sexy.

I think Creative uses minijack to minimize the size of the box for MM applications. It is more so that 1 minijack can hold upto 3 channels so far, may be 4 later. For preamped signals, it seems a good idea, particularly for MM.

So creative cares about what its products function and look too.

----------------

On 2/18/2004 8:59:52 PM 007 wrote:

----------------

On 2/18/2004 9:50:05 AM ProMedia Tech 2 wrote:

How much are you willing to spend on a unit with all those features??

----------------

200 dollars

and keep in mind good receivers can be had for 400-500 dollars but they come with more substantial hardware like amps that have 100watts into 6 or 7 channels, which the DD 5.1 does not need. a 500 watt amp can eat up at least 1/2 the cost of a receiver if not more, plus the receiver needs a lot more input/output stuff for video and what not.

----------------

Might want to give this a shot:

http://store.yahoo.com/handr-deals/30027.html

I know I am5.gif

----------------

On 2/18/2004 9:58:00 PM newmm wrote:

ddts comes with a break box. It functions as a multiplexer to allow you switching manually between ddts preamped output and preamped output from soundcard or any other preamped output, such as receiver. If preamped output is selected, it will bypass dtss and then let it drive speaker amp directly, like ultra. Well you can argue why not integrate it to the ddts box and then allow users to switch among them using remote or front panel. But that will make the ddts box not so sexy.

I think Creative uses minijack to minimize the size of the box for MM applications. It is more so that 1 minijack can hold upto 3 channels so far, may be 4 later. For preamped signals, it seems a good idea, particularly for MM.

So creative cares about what its products function and look too.

----------------

the ddts switch box is stilly imo, why can't they integrate it into the back of the ddts in the first place? I mean whets so hard about adding a lil button on the front and 3 more mini jacks in the back. This would not change the way the ddts looks. Furthermore i can't stand the way it looks, it feels really cheap, there is no display, its sits upright (what is up with that?) Its very light weight which is also unattractive. I dislike the fact it uses creative labs stupid 3 channels in a 2 channel input jack. Thats very non standard and it will not work with any other 7.1 soundcard other then the ZS. Nor will 7.1 speakers work unless they are the gig works or inspires. If Klipsch makes the 2.1 ultras I will make a 7 speaker set up, but I wont be able to use the ddts for that.

----------------

I mean if you feed dd/dts compressed signals to ddts for decoding, then ddts would do decoding and preamp as well, regardless you like it or not. There are only 1 set of 5.1/6.1 preamped output from ddts. Or maybe you can open the box and design a circuitry to tape the decoded_only signals from the box.

----------------

My DDTS is gonna go the way of my dd-5.1(aka "the dust collector") if I buy a reciever. The ddts doesnt allow for 6.1/7.1 compatibility with any other speakers than the gigaworks and inspire brand speakers(internal design), which I didnt find out until after buying it11.gifI'm mindful of the impedance factor when using 4 ohm speakers with a mid-range reciever, so thats why I chose one with the pre-outs so I can just use the signal processing. When I take the plunge into "real-deal" loud speakers, i'll use the the receiver's full potential

yeah, im not gonan blow 200 or 300 on a reciever that I would not want to use in an upgraded system later, I have my eye set on the HK AVR-7200, it can be had for about 900 bucks. Its got great amp and some great processing features and above all, it looks better then any other reciever.