Room size for LaScalas...

chuckears

I've loved my Fortes for years, but when beautiful La Scalas come up on ebay, I wonder what it would be like to get completely horny, um, horn-loaded.

My listening space (aka, the living room) is roughly 17'x17', with only a 13-14' space available between the outside ends of the speakers. I'm concerned that this may not be a large enough space to take advantage of the La Scala's full soundstage.

Any experienced (or even theoretical) thoughts about the ideal spacing for these would be appreciated...

I ordered some 2004 La Scalas that should look like the solid black pair on Ebay right now. My living room is 15X16 and I decided to buy them anyway. In 3-6 years when I get a bigger house with a bigger living room they will sound even better. Having LS in a room that size means that you will not have to turn up the volume very much to get to the volume level you like to listen at. I have seen pic on this forum of Khorns in smaller rooms. The LS will sound better in a larger room but they will also sound great in rooms our size. They are big, and many wifes don't like the looks and size which are two factors that many people have to consider. My best friend had a pair for 15 years and I have never been able to get to that excellent level of sound. My Heresys and KLF 20s are very good speakers but I have wanted LS for a very long time so I finally bought them. Also remember the LS bass is very good down to 50 hz but below that it drops off. So if you listen to classical and anything that hass bass between 20-40hz the LS bass may not work for you. If you have a sub then it would work. I'll send a email once I get my LS good luck if you bid!

Xman

I have found my Las to be very accomodating. Right now I have them in a room about 16 x 40 (basement), on the long wall about 15 feet apart. I have also used them at an outdoor party around 100 feet apart at a private lake. Either way they stage and impress. I can say that outdoors, the further you get away from them, the better they sound.

So they are good up close, and as sound projection devices.

I always thought their beauty lies in their flexibility (IMHO).

Get 'em.

You don't have to worry about it. I had about a half dozen people tell me that Klipschorns would never work in my room, and truth be told -- I was a bit concerned myself. No, you won't get the expansive soundfield a really big room gives you, but the upside is that you'll experience a flatter response from less room interaction. Many of us use the bigger horns in nearfield -- to great delight.

I also just read your email, and I'll just go ahead and post my response here.

It is apparent Klipsch worked very hard on the redesigns. The combination of new drivers and networks leaves little if anything to complain about. I think things could be a touch cleaner, but I believe you are going to be completely estatic.

So, do my Klipschorns sound "better" than Paul Parrots with the ALKs? I'll just say the listening experience is every bit as enjoyable, and I'm glad I did it. I haven't been disappointed. It's hard to make a head on comparison because of the vast differences in listening environments. Paul listens in the 5th row of a concert hall, and I listen sitting in front of the Marshall stacks.9.gif

I'm itching to replace some of the crossover components with better stuff, but I can't afford to do it right now. I'd love to crank things up a notch, but it's going to have to wait. However, when I sit back and listen -- the music takes over, and helps me not think about such things.