Why Cornwalls have the same woofer as Klipschorn ?!

vacs2000

Hello,

I donnot remember if I already have asked this question that always puzzle me but since everybody agrees, I think, that ported enclosures are much different that back-loaded horns, why Cornwall and Klipschorn/LaScala share the same woofer ?!?

Which speaker is compromized ?

Since in all catalogs EV/Altec/JBL etc it is always mentioned this woofer for Bass-Reflex that speaker for Horn-loaded etc there is somewhere something missing...

thank you

george

I suspect that this was because PWK had used that woofer with great success with the Khorn,Lascala,and Belle and saw no compelling reason to use another - particularly when he envisioned the Cornwall as being used as either a main speaker as a single or pair or ( like the Heresy ) as a centre channel speaker in a system using Khorns/Belles/Lascalas and wished to retain the same sonic character.

The fact is that cosmetics aside that woofer is a damned fine unit.

Tecnically, there are better drivers available to use for reflex enclosures than the K33. I was suprized when I found out in a previous thread here that it was in fact the same driver as my Khorns use. Frankly, I consider the choice of the K33 in a reflex enclosure to be a compromise.

The use of the K33 in a Cornwall was (IMO) purely economical, in that they are already in supply and so the logistics are already in place to supply, support, repair, and replace them in the product line. Also, the use of the same driver allows for most of the same components to be used in the related crossovers again simpler in logistical support.

Again, just my opinion...

DM

• Klipsch Employees

The loading is quite different. However, the cornwalls I have hade have never had the typical problems that you find in a driver that is in the "wrong" cabinet. I have never made them bottom, (and anyone that has been to my house knows I try;)

The 33 has a short and tight suspension.

In the khorn with the front loading and sealed back air chamber, It does not need to move much to give you a lot .

In the cornwall driver has much more room to move, but due to the suspension and the cabinet tuning it does almost as fine of a job in the bass reflex format.

Going down to 38 Hz ...

The difference is in the way the woofer sounds , In the Horn it is very quick and punchy

In the cornwall, it becomes a bit more "tubby"...

In the case of the Cornwall, IT is the compromise. A different woofer could be used and the cabinet could be much smaller.

When I was in college, I "came by" a JBL woofer. I wanted to make a subwoofer. I ran the equations and found it could indeed be -3 dB at 20 Hz, .... in a cabinet 3/4 the size of a refrigerator. I might have run into the excursion problems Trey describes. I sold it to a pro sound shop in Nashville.