RF3II crossover?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can make any changes you want to the internal crossover -- it's not locked away in a safe or anything. If you trying to ask about upgrading the crossover, then please do a search because the subject has been discussed many many times before.

Quite frankly, if you don't have a solid understanding of speaker and crossover design, then tinkering with the crossover is only going to give you a speaker that sounds worse then it did before you changed it. About the only thing a "novice" can do is replace some of the crossover parts with high quality parts (making sure the keep the values the same), but that will only yield subtle changes -- likely making the sound a little less harsh.

According the Klipsch's website, the RF-3II has a HF crossover point (for the horn) at 1975Hz. The RF-5's same HF crossover point is a 2500Hz. BOTH of those are high-pass filters and don't have ANY bearing on the woofers! The woofers in both speakers do have a low-pass filters on them, but Klipsch doesn't spec that value. Futhermore, these speakers use different horns and woofers so trying change the crossover point of a RF-3II to that of a RF-5 is NOT going to make it sound like a RF-5.

If I told you I'd have to kill you. ;) Actaully I work for the Boeing Company, but that's about all I will say. I have a B.S. in E.E. and have been an audio fanatic for about 20 years now. I have designed and/or built quite a few speakers over that time. Several years ago, I very seriosuly considered starting my own speaker company with a friend of mine (who's a M.E. as well as a very good businessman) but finally decided against it after consulting with various people in the field. About a year ago Klipsch techincal support (after chatting on the phone with me for over an hour) actually encouraged me to mail the my resume. I never mailed one though; I kind of think if audio remains just a hobby it will be more enjoyable.

So I guess the answer is "none". Like the "respect" you showed just-me-the-dude.Apologies after the fact stink of condescension.I am not an expert but I understood his question. More than reasonable.If you think a question is stupid or has no merit,Don't Answer it with your opinion, because that keeps stupid people like me from asking again and who knows;with the RIGHT people answering (and you know who you are)we (I) just might LEARN something.

Analogman

Analogman,

I'm not sure what your problem is, but the person with whom I was communicating didn't take offense. In fact he even thanked me! Even so after re-reading my post, I felt I may have unintentionally come across a little harsh so I elected to clarify that (just in case). You seem only to be trying to pick a fight. Just because I am not currently employeed by Klipsch doesn't mean I do not know what I am talking about.

Do you really think his question was reasonable? It appears he was talking about modifying the high-pass filter on the RF-3IIs to get more woofer output. If you really think that is reasonable, then you know not of what you speak.

STL,

My problem is with self-appointed know it alls who lie in wait on these forums and lecture to;not listen to (read} the questions put forth by newbies,for the question's real meaning.You just buried him with techno-speak he MAY or MAY NOT be able to understand, and that my friend, is not an answer or an explanation. NO his query was not resonible, but it was more than REASONABLE.

Employment by Klipsch is not a fundamental requisite as to one's possession of people skills,(my opinion only).

Analogman

Malcolm,

Honestly, for all we know the woofers in those two speakers are already crossed over the same (meaning using the same cap/inductor values). It seems the original poster was looking at the high-pass filter specs when he came up with the idea. I am a bit curious now...I wonder if we could get the LP specs on both speakers.