RSW 15 or svs pb2+?

Jay481985

Guest Anonymous

Jay, just go all the way and get the B4-Plus if ya really wanna knock the dorm down11.gif heh heh heh, it's overkill but fun. Really go with the B2-plus, it will do every thing you want, even impress the girls10.gif wait till thier skirts jump from the air movement with high db's and spl's11.gif think Marilyn on the vent13.gif I am talking about with movies here. With music, the svs is a bit harder to dial in for correct responce than HT, unless your reciever allows for seperate setting on HT vs Music. Remember this is just MHO, and yes I do have the B4-plus with Crown K23.gif The Klipsch is better for music, the svs more FUN, your choice

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is my opinion, the PB2 can dig lower but there is no reason for that for music. Most songs dont even touch 40hrz let alone anything in the 30hrz zone, the RSW-15 can go to 20 flat so what you really want is a sub that is musicaly at the audible levels. I dont believe the PB2+ is as musically as the RSW even for pure hip-hop. For HT, yeah, the pb2 is going to rock the rsw down low, but because this if for parties, you wont be taking advantage of that power. I saw go with the RSW-15.

----------------

On 2/21/2004 2:46:13 PM smilin wrote:

Jay, just go all the way and get the B4-Plus if ya really wanna knock the dorm down
11.gif
heh heh heh, it's overkill but fun. Really go with the B2-plus, it will do every thing you want, even impress the girls
10.gif
wait till thier skirts jump from the air movement with high db's and spl's
11.gif
think Marilyn on the vent
13.gif
I am talking about with movies here. With music, the svs is a bit harder to dial in for correct responce than HT, unless your reciever allows for seperate setting on HT vs Music. Remember this is just MHO, and yes I do have the B4-plus with Crown K2
3.gif
The Klipsch is better for music, the svs more FUN, your choice

----------------

I'm holding out for the B4 Ultra =P

----------------

On 2/21/2004 2:46:13 PM smilin wrote:

Jay, just go all the way and get the B4-Plus if ya really wanna knock the dorm down
11.gif
heh heh heh, it's overkill but fun. Really go with the B2-plus, it will do every thing you want, even impress the girls
10.gif
wait till thier skirts jump from the air movement with high db's and spl's
11.gif
think Marilyn on the vent
13.gif
I am talking about with movies here. With music, the svs is a bit harder to dial in for correct responce than HT, unless your reciever allows for seperate setting on HT vs Music. Remember this is just MHO, and yes I do have the B4-plus with Crown K2
3.gif
The Klipsch is better for music, the svs more FUN, your choice

----------------

damn you lol i want a b4 with crown k2. i might get a pb2 ultra but b4 way out of my league, i may as well try for a krell mrs 9.gif

If you're worried about someone spilling stuff on your coffee table...err, subwoofer, try bolting titanium plating on to it.

That said, my personal experience with both subs in question is this:

For musicality, the RSW15 is wonderful, and still has some punch.

For brute force, you've got to get the PB2.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, and if you want the PB2+ to be a little more asthetically pleasing, you can remove the baseplate, prop the enclosure up on its side, and you'll have 2 beautiful front firing silver aluminum woofers staring at you. Cool!1.gif

----------------

On 2/20/2004 6:36:02 PM Thors1982 wrote:

I just came to the same question a month ago....

My signature won't move to multiple lines for some reason, but if you read it It says March 6th for my RSW-15 :-)

I am So Excited!!!! I heard so so many good things about SVS it was a tough choice. I heard the SVS was much better for movies and got much deeper and a much bigger punch. But, I also heard the RSW-15 was better for music and very clear.

Granted I never listened to a SVS :-( so all my opinions take with a grain of salt, I am sure if anyone knows which is better its TheEar :-)

But, another big kicker was the Cherry color..... Got to match the rest of my system. Plus the cherry is so pretty. The other kicker was I can't and won't be able to demo a SVS... although I know everyone on here knows more than me.... I like to hear stuff before I buy it. Same reason I own a Denon instead of Harmon Kardon.

I don't think you will be dissapointed with either product based on everything I have read.

Correct me if I am wrong......... anyone
----------------

hi, sorry for the quotes with no info.

here is my 2 cents

For those that never heard an svs sub do its thing,

www.audioenvy.com and set up demo to get the low low down

OFF THE HOOK IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT!!!!!!!!! FOR REAL !!!!!!

i did it, no problems at all. (ONLY A PCI 39-16, JBL SMALL SAT, WITH SMALL H/K RECIVER ) OFF THE HOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!

AS SOON AS MY CONSTRUCTION IS COMPLETED AND BUGET ALLOWS A PB2 + will join my chrous II f/r ∧ herseies for s souroundsII

iI WILL BE POSTING MY H/T PROGECT FROM START TO FINSH /PICTURES HERE ON THIS FROUM.(MORE ON THAT LATER)

THE SVS SUB IS THE WINNER HANDS DOWN.

hope that this helps

peace

yendor9.gif9.gif9.gif9.gif

hi, sorry for the quotes with no info.

here is my 2 cents

For those that never heard an svs sub do its thing,

www.audioenvy.com and set up demo to get the low low down

OFF THE HOOK IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT!!!!!!!!! FOR REAL !!!!!!

i did it, no problems at all. (ONLY A PCI 39-16, JBL SMALL SAT, WITH SMALL H/K RECIVER ) OFF THE HOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!

AS SOON AS MY CONSTRUCTION IS COMPLETED AND BUGET ALLOWS A PB2 + will join my chrous II f/r ∧ herseies for s souroundsII

iI WILL BE POSTING MY H/T PROJECT FROM START TO FINSH /PICTURES HERE ON THIS FROUM.(MORE ON THAT LATER)

THE SVS SUB IS THE WINNER HANDS DOWN.

hope that this helps

peace

yendor9.gif9.gif9.gif9.gif

I would NEVER use a RSW 15 for a college dorm room.

1.) The front copper passive will get kicked in, ruined, and the front grill will be toast. What corner will you posibly have to set it up properly anyhow? If not you.. your room mate his friends will test it, blow it out, and ruin it. Beer..Yep I can just see it spilled all over it frying the amp and ruining it all poured down the backside.

2.) The Sub, even at low volumes, will add soo much to your HT experience your gonna rattle the dorm floor(s) above and below you. It is not neccessary. Even a PM 2.1 computer system will ROCK almost all dorm rooms to a very "exceptable" volume, trust me. IMO, get the best Pro media set up, and save your $$ till after college. Then you can enjoy it in a bigger room and be somewhat protected. Nothing like a new really cool stereo in yoru first "apartment or house" after school. After all, thats why you got the degree in the first place... so you can afford new gear!!

I am sorry to sound negative, but a RSW or a SVS has no place in a dorm room. Even if you have the money it is not practical.

I would have to agree..

a RSW-15 in a dorm room.... not worth it. I just got my RSW-15 and it is in a 18x16 room. It looks huge... it is a freaking coffee table :-)

I dunno how big your dorm rooms are, but this room is MUCH!!! bigger than my dorm room, that I had 2 years ago. My dorm room probably was 10x12 for two people.... it sucked bad. I would suggest the promedia GMX 5.1... so you get surround sound, then when you get an appartment you can have money for some RF-7s RSW-15 or whatever, and have surround sound ont he computer and on the TV!!!

"I am sorry to sound negative, but a RSW or a SVS has no place in a dorm room. Even if you have the money it is not practical. "

Don't listen to him,it just depends on what you want. I had Heresys and 2 12" subs in college. When you have 20-30 people packed into a small dorm room, you need the volume. It's practical, you might need to watch it during parties (I had one grill broken in 4 years...and that was my fault), but it can be worth it.

----------------

On 3/10/2004 2:33:04 PM IndyKlipschFan wrote:

I would NEVER use a RSW 15 for a college dorm room.

1.) The front copper passive will get kicked in, ruined, and the front grill will be toast. What corner will you posibly have to set it up properly anyhow? If not you.. your room mate his friends will test it, blow it out, and ruin it. Beer..Yep I can just see it spilled all over it frying the amp and ruining it all poured down the backside.

2.) The Sub, even at low volumes, will add soo much to your HT experience your gonna rattle the dorm floor(s) above and below you. It is not neccessary. Even a PM 2.1 computer system will ROCK almost all dorm rooms to a very "exceptable" volume, trust me. IMO, get the best Pro media set up, and save your $$ till after college. Then you can enjoy it in a bigger room and be somewhat protected. Nothing like a new really cool stereo in yoru first "apartment or house" after school. After all, thats why you got the degree in the first place... so you can afford new gear!!

I am sorry to sound negative, but a RSW or a SVS has no place in a dorm room. Even if you have the money it is not practical.

----------------

I second that........ the dorm can't fit the HT is the reason why I didn't move in...... wait I've the RB-5 not RF-7 yet 14.gif .

Ok even there's a space for placing them, I don't think there's enough breathing space and some space for listening them(I'm talking about the RF-7 RSW15 combo in dorm, not yet for 7.1). You need at least 6-10" away from wall/corner for RSW15 and plus it's 20" size, everyone's gonna kick the sub or hurt the RF-7s as they get into your room(everyone loves to lean on the speakers. I don't see why but it happens. We now know that humans are invertibates and constantly need to lean on something 9.gif )

For the second point, even people live in basement the bass will just transferred to 30ft+ surround your house(regardless the wall, bass just shakes the wall), I tried to ask someone to turn down volume in basement when I was in my friend's dorm @ 2nd floor

Jay

If you are looking for pretty in a subwoofer, don't expect it in the PB2+, it is very pedestrian and utilitarian looking and is quite a bit larger than the RSW15. The PB2 Ultras will come (that is when SVS ever overcomes their production problems and starts shipping them) in several finishes, none of which matches the cherry of the Reference series. If sound is your ONLY criteria then there is NO CONTEST, the PB2+ wins hands down. If you would like to take a vacation to South Florida you can come over to my place and hear the PB2+ with 7 series References. No other sub will every sound right to you again after hearing it.

Jerry Rappaport

"When you have 20-30 people packed into a small dorm room, you need the volume."

yeah yeah yeah...20-30 people in a typical dorm room... Not possible.

Look, I have a 14x 16 office that I am at home looking around the room now.. 20 - 30 people in here? If I had two beds... closets, a fridge even if the beds were lofts... stretching what would be possible...again.. 20- 30 people... as Paul would say...and probably the only cuss word we can use on this forum because he used it too.. 20-30 people... BULL****!

Now, a pair of Heresies...and a sub. Go for it.(I did in college.)

I hear everyone's opinion and I understand both sides. I have the promedia ultra's with one sws and the dd 5.1. Let me make somethings clear, I have a single suite dormroom about 12x14. So no blowing amps by roommate nor try to steal them cause there to heavy. with the ultra and sws i could shake the foundation already, even though it is solid brick. I just want those low 20 hertz where the promedia ultras can never reach. And with those speakers I's never let anyone near them. 2.gif

----------------

On 3/13/2004 6:37:32 AM Jay481985 wrote:

I hear everyone's opinion and I understand both sides. I have the promedia ultra's with one sws and the dd 5.1. Let me make somethings clear, I have a single suite dormroom about 12x14. So no blowing amps by roommate nor try to steal them cause there to heavy. with the ultra and sws i could shake the foundation already, even though it is solid brick. I just want those low 20 hertz where the promedia ultras can never reach. And with those speakers I's never let anyone near them.
2.gif

----------------

Perhaps you should go ahead for some SVS PCi 20-39 or 16-46 or PB1ISD. That's all you need for going down to 20Hz 9.gif

----------------

On 3/13/2004 10:18:28 AM ccsakura wrote:

Perhaps you should go ahead for some SVS PCi 20-39 or 16-46 or PB1ISD. That's all you need for going down to 20Hz
9.gif

----------------

Yup. Or you could also check out the Velodyne SPL series. Same price range, same power down under, but they come in much, much smaller packages.

IndyKlipschFan - I dunno what that guy is on about. 20-30 people in a dorm room? yeah right, what college is he going to? I had a 4 room/main suite setup at USC and fitting 30 people in all that space would still have been pulling a David Copperfield.