What sort of speaker wire does everyone use?

Klipsch RF7

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 2/22/2004 11:46:13 PM mobile homeless wrote:

It's hard to believe people are still saying that all cable sounds the same. Amazing. One thing IS true, one doesnt have to lay down long green to get some good performing cable. But cable DOES make a difference and is just one more component in the chain. If have heard this time and time again since I started experimenting with cables in the 80s.

I do agree that some of the cables are horribly overpriced. But I have heard runs of cable make or break a system.

Hell, my Cornwalls and SET system has been a pain to get right with wire. I didnt like any of my previous cable with it, the worst being the BEST for solid state, Transparent Cable (the Network cables were great with high power SS but SUCKED with low power tubes and horns). I went through CAT 5 and a homebrewo 18awg/Magnet combo. When I changed from the home brew 18awg solid core with Magnet wire I had to my current Belden TWisted Cross Connect (ala Jon Risch) it was a JAW DROPPING DIFFERENCE. I mean, Audrey was even stunned. I equate it with a component change; it was THAT big a difference. It was the first wire I REALLY liked with my CW and Moondogs.

There are a lot of details online concerning cable you can construct that sound VERY VERY nice. There is no need to lay down big ducats. But cable DOES make a difference in my view. I will say that with horns, I have found the simple cables to be better than the complex. Some of the simple Kimber do a nice job. I really like my Belden 89259 cross connect solution.

kh

----------------

Do you know of anyone who makes the famous Belden speaker cables? I'm a musician, know how to tune a viola, but don't trust myself to make the cables properly.

proko03@aol.com

12 guage monster 'zip' for the front 3 speakers, 16/4 twisted,jacketed for the 2 rears(i pull one 'wire' and strip 2 of the conductors out for the closest surround-saves time & works well)

i DO like the XOS wire(as far as it looks) IF i change my wire, i would try XOS bi-wire.

avman.