Center Channel Speakers All Around

burtlively

okay, so i'd like to go with 5 rc-7's for my entire rig, but i built an armoire for my tv, components, and main speakers. i don't want to build another one just to fit the rc-7's in. i have just enough room to use the rc-3ii's for my 3 fronts. my current setup sounds fine, but we always have to tweak don't we? your thoughts.

----------------

On 2/22/2004 11:41:45 PM heretic wrote:

Well, I think having five identical speakers is ideal. I also think getting five center speakers is about the most expensive way to meet that goal.

It's your money, and you can do what you want with it.
9.gif

----------------

I concur. For the amount you'll spend on 5 center channels, you'd do better to buy three pairs of RB-75's and pocket the difference, having the spare ready when you upgrade to 6.1!

Rebuild or build another more flexiable entertainment

center. You need one that allows you to make changes, or be prepared to build a new one every time. I must change or build another one at least once a year. You can't let something like that stand in your way.

I'm with Q-man... if you have the audio sophistication to know the advantages of using six matched speakers, then it follows you should carve up or replace your entertainment stand. Using all Reference centers in a 6.1 configuration was first broached by none other than BobG in response to a HornEd post shortly after the new Reference centers hit the marketplace.

While it is true that having full-range, timbre-matched speakers on all discreet channels is more expensive... especially on the rear array, the fact remains that, ideally, the same sound coming from any direction should sound the same for the greatest amount of realism from a given set of 6.1 loudspeakers. Try putting the same sound through your set of speakers one speaker at a time and you will note a great variance between each speaker. Part of that variance is the loudspeaker itself and part is due to the location and height above the floor.

On the low end issue, if you have an "adequate" subwoofer system (i.e., 121 dB at 20 Hz), then you can set your 6 Reference centers to handle all sound above 85 Hz... and let your subs handle all sound 85 Hz and below. Sound waves below 85 Hz are non-directional to the human ear. subs handle long waves better... and woofers tend to be quicker on handling program material when they are freed of having to do the long wave excursions.

In fact, using a center mounted horizontally between two vertically oriented centers will make an excellent front array. I would place all the surround speakers horizontally, that will allow better coverage of a wider area of your listening environment.

Of course, the alternative is to buy six RF7's and convert one of them (a la HornEd) to an RF7 center by using a custom made motor board. =HornEd