More questions about Preamps

Vital

How does this preamp - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14974&item=3051456025 - compare to say a fully upgraded Foreplay?

http://www.bottlehead.com/et/adobespc/foreplay/foreplay_line_stage_kit.htm

The Foreplay kit with all upgrades is $298.00 and the other is $299.00 now so they are the same price. The Foreplay needs to be put together but from everything I have read the instructions are detailed and can be easily done by anyone.

Thoughts? We are talking about two different tubes so the sound should be pretty different. From what I have read a lot of people favor the 6sn7 over the 12au7. What is the better value here and what will sound better to "most" people on the forum? I know this 6sn7 got great reviews when you guys met a few months ago.

I kind of like the 6SN7 sound. I like it in both cathode follower and SRPP circuits. The only thing I've heard so far that matches the sound is Mr. Wizards Brewberry. I do know I like the 6SN7 preamps I've owned over the 12AU7 preamps I've heard. There is a good military spec replacement tube for the 12AU7 that I think sounds much better, but I can't remember what the damn thing is right now.

The bummer about the Chinese SRPP 6SN7 preamp is that it takes a long while to get here. But in my view, I'd take this over the little Bottlehead. Then again, the Bottlehead forum is the abosolute most helpful forum online and will walk you through the countless mods and upgrades owners have done.

Still, that little 6SN7 pre is an amazing bargain for the price. I think both can be made to sound good but my choice between the two lies with the 6SN7 with tube rectification and regulation, something I find VERY nice with preamps. You also get a choke power supply standard. In addition, I think the transformer via the 6SN7 is a bit beefier.

Still, it's your call. Both would offer totally different experiences in the buy, build, and listening process. The 6SN7 and 6SL7 happen to be my favorite preamp tubes.

kh

I can't comment on the Foreplay seeing how I've never seen or heard one, but from all that I've read about it, it's one helluva pre, easy to build and upgrade, and sounds fantastic. If you're a DIYer type, I'd say go for it.

On the other hand, I'm also one of the few here who does own the BEZ Model Q4B 6SN7 SRPP line stage pre. Having to wait nearly 2 months for it to arrived sucked, but well worth the wait after hearing it. To my ears it sounds outstanding with its stock Chinese tubes (with my SS MC250 amp). I have on order a matched pair of NOS '50s RCA 6SN7GTB black plates, a NOS 1958 RCA OC3 and a 1967 RCA OD3 (both regulators ST-shaped), and a '50s NOS NIB Mullard GZ30 (5Z4G) rectifier, all on their way! Can't wait to try them out and see how much better NOS tubes can sound (keeping my fingers crossed)!2.gif