Cleaning Jazz and Classical lps from 50s-60s

Charles Turner

Does anyone have any secrets to share on cleaning older jazz and classical lps from the 50s and 60s? I use a Nitty Gritty machine and solution made from the VPI concentrate and it works fine on lps from the 70s forward. I usually remove the lp about half way through the wet cycle, scrup it with a Nitty Gritty nylon brush on a clean sheet of glass, then vacuum. Although the older lps look clean and "sound clean" they still have mild to moderate surface noise.

Will higher end fluids such as Record Research Labs help or is it just the fact these lps are older and did not have the benefit of being played initially on higher quality turntables?

thanks

1976 Cornwalls ALK crossovers

Stax Lambda Signature earspeakers SRM T1 tube driver

Rega P25 turntable Benz Micro H2 cartridge

McIntosh MC225 amplifier

McIntosh C15

McIntosh MR71 tuner

DIY 89259 cross-connect speaker cable

DIY Superlatives interconnects

Mild to moderate surface noise=Analog LP playback!

Listen to all the MUSIC that these treasures possess!

If "surface noise" is an irritant try finding your favorite titles on "Digitally Remastered For Superior Sound"CD reissues. I am not trying to be a wise ***.

Analogman

Charles,

Try the cleaner from the Disc Doctor and the brushes that he sells. They reach a little deeper into the grooves. I would also not place the records on glass surfaces for the adiitional cleaning. After cleaning and drying them, use a carbon fiber brush or Zerostat gun to remove the remaining static from the vinyl.

Klipsch out.

I grew up on vinyl. I'm not a fan now.

In the early '70s I was able to remove some particulates by washing the disks with water, small amount of detergent, and soft hand held brushes. It was a big help. These were the days before professional kits. Tracking brushes were the new thing.

Some damage just couldn't be reversed. My thought at the time, and now, was that the stylus caused tremendous stress on the vinyl. It would grind in any dust rather than plough it out. Someone must have done a calculation on the pounds per square inch caused by even two ounces of force on the very small contact area.

I wonder whether the walls of the groove were indeed turned into veritable sandpaper by the the process of playing dusty vinyl.

Some styllus sellers would display microphotographs of worn stylus made of steel, saphire, and (to a lesser extent) diamond. Obviously vinyl itself could not cause such wear. So I conclude, strictly by this, that the groove walls had been imbedded by foreign particulates.

My guess is that they can not be washed out. But again, this is just my thought without too much experience. OTOH, I've not seen anyone claim they can cure the noise issue.

Gil

Charles Turner,

I own roughly 2,000 lps. I play (and buy) titles on vinyl whenever possible. I have more than my share of used discs picked up along the way from thrifts etc. Over the years I have had mixed results salvaging these orphans.

YOU ARE EXACTLY CORRECT in thinking that many older titles have been subjected to the "Grind-O-Matics" of their day and NOTHING can be done in the way of cleaning to reverse the mechanical damage these discs have suffered (engraving).

Also,much of the vinyl formulations used in the 50s and 60s were noisy by nature.Millions of dollars have changed hands

taken by people who have "solutions" claimed to reduce or even eliminate these MECHANICAL problems.Your routine sounds good to me and your cleaning machine is a good one as well.As far as cleaning records is concerned it's like barbecue,everyone who makes it is an expert and knows best.I tried many of the "store bought" solutions and eventually settled on my own home brew.Numerous recipes are out there and are certainly worth trying until you find one you like.Although some would like you to think so,cleaning records ain't like practicing medicine.Just my two cents worth.Have a good day!

Analogman