Front Projector..Optoma H30 DLP or Sanyo Z2 LCD

elgrillo

So I have these wonderful RF7 surround setup which need a big screen buddy. I have narrowed it down to either the Optoma H30 DLP, BenQ 6200 DLP or Sanyo Z2/Pan AE500. They both have their own advantages from what I read.

Z2/AE500

Quieter than H30

Higher resolution

DVI

Looks better for HD

16:9 native aspect ratio

H30

Better Contrast

A bit brighter

Much less problems than LCD

Looks better on DVD's

$500 Cheaper than the Z2

BenQ 6200 DLP(New contender)

Same as H30 but:

2db louder than H30

Higher resolution than H30, but less than the Z2/AE500

$300 more

A bit brighter

Slower color wheel at 3x

Free bulb with rebate

Choosing the RF7's was an easy choice for me, but getting this Front projector has been a major pain. I was wondering if anyone has compared these 3 and even if you haven't what you would reccomend. Thanks

I too am looking into front projection (hopefully have my first front projector by Christmas this year), and have found that both of those units are excellent. Have you ever been to AVSForum.com ? Tons of information on that site and would get you a better response. Also, you might want to put down what your budget is, size of screen, distance from screen, % main uses (dvd/video games/pc etc) so everyone can lead you to make a choice. I know it's going to be difficult for me as well. Let me know what you end up going with and from what distributor.

PS have you even begun looking into screens as well? Going the DIY route?

I have been over to Avs forum, its probably the best place to get info on these projectors now. My budget is 2k, and it will be used for Business presentation(which frankly any projector will do), DVD and HD. Probably gonna use it more for DVD's. I was thinking of going the DIY route for a screen since I have projected onto my white wall and I thought it looked great, so a cheap screen is in my future. I will be moving around a bit, so screen size isn't too much of a factor. Picture quality is what is really important for me.

elgrillo-

My recommendation for projectors technology, LCD or DLP, is GO LOOK!!!! The major complaints about LCD technology is "screen-door" and "black levels". Basically, the Contrast ratio on LCDs isn't nearly as good as it is with other technologies so your blacks won't be inky black, they will be slightly grey. Also, depending on the size of the screen and seating distance, you could see the pixel structure of the LCD screen, aka "Screendoor" effect. As for DLPs, the major complaint is about the "rainbow" effect. The DLPs use small micro mirrors and a spinning color wheel to display all of the colors (Red, Blue, Green). Since each color is shown for a finite period of time, the movie action might have shifted slightly from one color showing to the next, aka "rainbow" effect. When the color wheels were slower (1x & 2x) some people complained about headaches and eye pains because of the distracting "rainbow" effect. So, my suggestion is take a look at the two technologies and figure out which one you can live with.... When I did this, I found I was very very sensitive to the rainbow effect, so much so, I almost vomited in the showroom of the dealer and I had a nasty headache for an hour after I watched it and this was on a $12,000 DLP so I figured that a $2000 DLP would really cause problems, so I started looking at LCD projectors in my $ range.

Business presentations and HT use are almost 180 degrees apart in needs. For HT, contrast ratio rules and you sacrifice light output to get it. For Business use, Brightness rules and you sacrifice CR to get it. There are people that have purchased it for both uses....but you need to determine what your priority is.

I would suggest you find a projector that has the following specs

CR: 800:1 (minimum)

Resolution: highly dependent on screen size, but 1/4 HD minimum

Inputs: DVI, VGA, & Component

Power: highly dependent on screen size...

hope this helps...

-Dave

check out the sony vpl-hs3 and vpl-hs20.

the hs-3 is greatly improved over the older hs-2, and the hs-20 is the 'new-and-improved' version of the vpl-hs10 i own!

go to:www.sony.com and do a search for them.

if you need a 'special' price, pm or e-mail me2.gif9.gif

avman.

Well I have seen a 2x dlp in action and I saw several rainbows, but did not get sick or eyestrained, nor did anyone who saw it. It was the Infocus X1, which I am going to be returning due to the amount of rainbows, and the noise it produces. So I figured if I got at least a 4x, it really wouldn't be an issue for me. Actually I think I have decided on the Optoma H30, since what I really want is a high resolution DLP, which right now is out of my price range. The issues that are part of LCD scare me a little bit, so I think I will go cheaper for now, and upgrade down the road when HD becomes more prominent. Most of my viewing right now will be DVD's where I don't really need the Higher resolution. Thanks for all your help.

Doug I will be moving around a bit, but for now I think I can only place it about 10 feet back. So it is a very short throw.

The cost differentials when you step down off the $10K price point for any projector are created by sacrificing features and quality. There's no avoiding it. Elite Vision (the brand I carry) strips the power vertical lens shift (for non-perpendicular mounting), brightness (2200 lumens vs. 700), contrast ration (900:1 vs. 800:1), and over-HD rez (1366x768 vs 1280x720) from the PLV-70 ($9995 MSRP) to get the EV-100 ($5995). And yeah, they offer a $2500 unit that only outputs 1/4HD rez (964x544) as well.

But hey - what do I know?

I know that in a forum filled with audiophiles that understand the value of high-end amplifiers and high-end speakers, the idea that cheap video systems should somehow be just as good as pricey ones is a bizzare contradiction.

just a quick perspective on front pj's and price/performance...

about 2 yrs. ago i had a sharp xvz1u vga pj, 4x3 panels,about 350 lumens. it cost about $1900.

NOW the hs-3 is Wvga, appx.1000 lumens, and 800:1 CR, for UNDER $1,300($1,500 retail)

point is: this is a GREAT time to buy a low to mid price pj, start enjoying it NOW, then sell it and upgrade once you get a 'feel' for what you want/like.

i sold my sharp for about $1K, then put that toward my current pj. with the $1K i got for my old pj,my NEW 1366x768 wxga pj cost ME about $1,300, and the picture is SO GOOD, i haven't used my 36 xbr hdtv in about a year!

avman.