Zebrawood Cornwall II

greg928gts

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 2/24/2004 4:55:13 PM garymd wrote:

Very nice Greg. I used to be the only one around with zebrawood.
7.gif

I guess I started a trend.
12.gif

----------------

Yes Gary, you are a trendsetter2.gif

Greg, Georgous Corns, anyone would be proud to own those10.gif

Gary, you are the zebrawood dude!

Ctiger2 - I have 3 pairs of La Scalas just waiting to be refinished and to have a new home.

I don't see serial numbers on them, the tags are missing. Are the serial numbers embossed in the wood anywhere? Maybe they're on the input plate?

I know these are a little higher priced than most Cornwalls sell for around here, but they are quite fresh and unique. Since they aren't being made anymore and the zebrawood is rare, I think they'll bring $1400 on ebay pretty easily. Am I off base here?

Greg

Greg, REALLY NICE WORK.

BTW, sis' bought 3 acres up your way and I couldn't put the trip together (was out of town) ... so I won't be up your way real soon (but tell me you're in the market for ASIC's and I'll be right over :) ).

Would love to see/hear your gear before Jeff uses it to prop up some faulty pipe left over from the French Revolution 9.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Good going, Greg! Did you buy boxes for these, or make 'em yourself? I read that you were using 2" styro all around. That's what I used when I crated two Cornwalls together to ship to Portland (300#!). At that time, that put the boxes just over the size/weight limit for UPS. Is that restriction changed?

Dan, I think you'll find the Heritage Cornwalls will be more valuable in resale. I didn't do a direct comparison of sound between the two so I can't comment on the sound differences. I myself would prefer the older versions though.

Gary, I figure the shipping will be about $200, packing $50, fees $50, so I actually got $1200. I think you're right though, that's quite good for II's. They might have sold quicker and for more money with better pictures too. I got lazy with the photos on these.

fini, this is from a post on the "Next up, 6 custom La Scala" thread:

"I was surprised that UPS would deliver them too, but they have a category called OS3 that takes up to 150 lbs and 165" total dimension. I'm planning to put 2" of polystyrene foam (blueboard) on all the sides, and 4" on the tops and bottoms. I'll custom make cardboard boxes with flat stock, yeilding boxes that will be 20" x 30" x 44" and the total weight will be 120lbs. Shipping the Cornwalls from Maine to California is $258.

In fact, I figure I can send La Scalas via UPS. A La Scala box would be 29" x 31" x 45" for a total dimension of 165", and this gives 3" of foam on all the sides, 4" on the top and bottom. The weight limit is probably a factor here though, but one could always pull the woofer and/or other components and send them separately to get the weight down. I checked, and a pair of La Scalas from Maine to California via UPS Ground is $330. I wonder how that would compare in cost to Forward Air? My problem with Forward Air is that the nearest terminal to me is 200 miles away."

Thanks for the info Greg.

On a sidenote, regarding shipping methods, have you looked into the cost of using BAX Global? It's probably quite a bit cheaper than going UPS. You could strap two LaScalas to a pallet and have them delivered directly to a physical address.

My guess is that it wouldn't me more than $200-250 and a WHOLE lot safer than UPS.

Just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...

LOL!

I can't believe it, but the buyer sent someone all the way from Chicago Illinois to come get these in central Maine!

We chuckled about it all night. Poor guy and his fiancee, they were so out of their element up here in the boonies of Maine. I think his exact words were "we'd like to get as far out of Maine tonight as possible". He told me that they left Chicago with $200 and they had about $40 left. They were sleeping in the mini-van. He brought cash for the Cornwalls and I gave him some back so he'd have enough to get home. I felt bad for them. People will do some crazy things for this hobby!

They followed me back to the highway and off they went. I haven't heard a thing since.

Greg