Moving ?

easylistener

Get the thicker bags in pet shops(which is similar to the one you get when u get the fish from them). Put those fish in and move them? Rest of the plants/etc just left them into the tank and cut half the water off when you drive?(If you can't move the tank you have to get a truck from friends or some service).

BTW if u do this way remember to balance the temperature inside the bag and the tank again before u put the fish into the bag or back to the tank(they don't regulate their tempature, you can't throw them into cold water bath in seconds, they can't make it).

----------------

On 2/24/2004 5:12:43 PM easylistener wrote:

It looks like I am going to be moving. I have a 75 gallon Aquarium full of fish. Does anyone know how to move them with out killing them? My son would hate me if I killed any of them.

----------------

I moved a 125 gallon aquarium about 11 years ago. It was a six and a half hour drive from A to B. I had great success using ice chests to hold the fish. I had about fifteen good sized fish, and I distributed them among about three of the ice chests.

Your 20 minute drive is cake. If you really want to minimize stress on the fish, get a couple of 33 gallon plastic trash cans, or a handful of 12 gallon plastic bins, or a bunch of five gallon buckets . . . you get the picture . . . and move as much of your tank water as you reasonably can. pH shock is more important than temperature shock. Oh, and try to leave your gravel bed alone, and keep it wet for the move. My 125 was an acrylic tank, so my cousin and I just muscled it up onto a dolly with an inch of water still over the gravel and rolled that into the trailer. If you have a glass tank you probably want to put your gravel into buckets, and top it over with water. Once your gravel is not submerged you start to lose your bacteria in just a few minutes -- like 30 of them.

After your friends are back in their home, you can use a half dose of . . . shoot, what's it called . . . Nox-ich? Rid-Ich? Whatever the brand, it's malachite green, and you'd usually add a drop per gallon for infected fish. A drop per two or three gallons is a good preventive dose.

Big fish are tough. You should be fine.