Suggest some jazz for me to listen to --- never really given it a listen...

lancestorm

My post stated that if this guy was into harder rock then Krall might not be a good place to start and then a few posts later AFTER the topic starter said that he was indeed mostly into rock Krall is recommended???!!! Was this deliberate? Why aren't we suggesting stuff like Herbie Hancock-Headhunters, Herbie Hancock-Thrust, Miles Davis-Jack Johnson, Miles Davis-In A Silent Way, Billy Cobham-Spectrum, Mahavishnu Orchestra-Inner Mounting Flame. Even Jeff Beck-Blow By Blow. I think this would be a MUCH better introduction to a rocker.

that's the beauty of this forum.... we can all make our own personnal recommendations....

you tell him what you like.... i'll post what i like......

just go down your local music source.... try to find one that have the headphones and bar code readers right in the aisle.... simply scan the disc you are interested in.... and you can listen to portions of every track....

here in minneapolis - border's books has a huge cd collection and 90% of the cd's are in their listening system.....

1.gif

----------------

On 2/27/2004 8:35:09 AM synthfreek wrote:

"My post stated that if this guy was into harder rock then Krall might not be a good place to start and then a few posts later AFTER the topic starter said that he was indeed mostly into rock Krall is recommended???!!! Was this deliberate? Why aren't we suggesting stuff like Herbie Hancock-Headhunters, Herbie Hancock-Thrust, Miles Davis-Jack Johnson, Miles Davis-In A Silent Way, Billy Cobham-Spectrum, Mahavishnu Orchestra-Inner Mounting Flame. Even Jeff Beck-Blow By Blow. I think this would be a MUCH better introduction to a rocker."

----------------

Ah, you can go from a chuck roast to tenderloin and never miss the round steak!

Seriously, all the recommendations have been good. Lancestorm needs to visit CD Universe and preview some of the artist and titles mentioned. That will provide a feel for what his niche will eventually be.

Since you're going to a library - try any/all of the suggestions so far. The "fusion" type music as in Billy Cobham/Mahavishnu Orchestra is more rock like than many of the suggestion - although Miles' later day stuff incorporated rock - sometimes to the extreme. Back in college days - many if us did progress into all of Jazz' history by first listening to Mahavishnu Orchestra/Weather Report type bands - this led us further back into the jazz greats by area - Cool Jazz(Miles/Coltrane), BeBop(Charlie Parker/Dizzy Gillespe)Swing, etc.

Let your ears be your guide - what sounds boring/unpleasant today should be revisited from time to time as your musical tastes expand. All the suggestions listed are great music - finding enough time for it all will be the biggest challenge2.gif