Yamaha vs. Denan

bax7294j

You need to run Denon if you like your eardrums. My brother ran a Yamaha with his Legends and it was so bad he ordered his Denon 3803 the same day. The highs are way too piercing. Yamaha is known as a very bright sounding amp, as are Klipsch speakers because of their horns. You put those together and it's just way to harsh and doesn't sound good at all. I'm running a Denon 3802, and like I said my bro is running a 3803 and it makes the Legends and the Reference series sound golden.

If you're into crazy highs and ear bleeding treble, then go with the Yamaha. Otherwise I highly recommend the Denon.

My two bits.

See, I've auditioned Yamaha amps with several different Synergy systems (including the Quintets) and found that they do just fine together.

Of course, Heritage and Reference will be completely different animals - those titanium tweeters are definitely bright - although I've referenced the Yamaha HTR-5590 with an all-JBL S-series HT package and found it to be a very reasonable combination even at very high volumes.

Oh well. As my sig says...

I am another who found the Yamaha/Reference combination too bright at very, very high volumes. Some others, however, seem to enjoy the combination. A Denon will provide a much warmer sound for Klipsch speakers. I personally found the Harman Kardon sound to be even warmer than Denon, so that also may be a consideration for you.

Ultimately, its up to your own ears.

---------------------------

Samsung TXN3245FP,Harmon Kardon AVR 7200,Denon DVD-2900,RF3II,RC3II,RS35,KLF-C7,RC35,SVS 20-39PCi,SVS PB2-ISD

Yamaha RX-V1300,Onkyo SKS-HT500,Axiom QS-8,HSU VTF-2

All I can offer is I'm running Yamaha with the Reference series and I don't like it. It wasn't quite as bad with my Forte's but it was still too bright at higher volumes. I can't say exactly how it would sound with something other than the Forte's or RF-7's.

You may hear it and like it. Everyone has different tastes.

I don't mean to dis Yamaha, they make really fine, if bright, amps. At more moderate volumes it's a very clean and detailed sound. I can put on the song "The End" by The Doors, close my eyes and swear the band was in the room. Just can't listen to it loud for very long.

If you can take one home for a period and return it if you don't like it, that would be the way to go.

I have said this many times, I think that Yamaha sounds harsh with my Heresys but I haven't heard it with other Klipsch. Yamaha is great equipment and sounded really good with my other speakers but not with my Heresys. I am really curious to see what Yamaha sounds like with other Klipsch stuff like the Reference line.

I have no doubt you'll experience the same thing with Reference - the titanium tweeters + horns has got to be a brutal HF experience. The Synergies, OTOH, aren't as bright as the Reference, due in large part to the aluminum tweeters.

I'm toying with the idea of using a high-end Yammy as a preamp for my system.

The 9.1 means 7.1. The other two channels are the front effect speakers.

Mine is called an 8.1, because of one rear center channel and the two front effect channels.

The greatest thing about Yamaha is the front effect channels. They really widen the sound stage and give you a more life like sound.