Old Recordings Just Seem More Satisfying

HornPenguin

I've been listening to a lot of old recordings lately. Stuff from the late 60's, early 70's mostly. Recordings such as Lynn Anderson, Charlie Rich, Billie Jo Spears, late Elvis and much more. With all their limitations and peaks and bass limitations, I must say they sure are sweet to listen to. Warm, inviting, involving, just plain more enjoyable. Yes, I like a vast array of new artists. There are many new recording of many genres that I thoroughly enjoy as well and certainly the newer recordings are more dynamic, full... polished. So why are these old recordings just so damn good?

Brad

How true. Curious if anyone has listened to any of the Mapleshade discs? They have taken this method of recording to heart to produce their music. Now if they would cut some vinyl...

----------------

On 2/28/2004 1:09:57 AM Allan Songer wrote:

Recordings of the 1950's and 1960's were for the most part live in the studio straight to 2-track (or ONE track). What you hear is what they played. Novel concept . . .

----------------

Strange, I can think of a thousand early recordings, many I have on vinyl, that are anything BUT warm and fuzzy. And I have a full tube setup too. This "warm and fuzzy" is the biggest misnomer one can say about either good old recordings or good tube gear.

But Allan is right on the money. There is nothing like a well-recorded live event with good mic playment and great hands at the console, the less done, the better.

kh

I think that Allan and Kelly must have it right. The recordings that I was referring to seem to have a sense of the room. There are echo's, ambient noises, a sense of performance. The vocals in many ways seem to just jump out (in a good way), perhaps this type of recording is well suited for my system, tubes and horns. Certainly enjoyable. Many more recodings to come. CD Connection must love me.