Not klipsch - But pretty dam cool anyways .

BackBurner

Although klipsch is the mainstay of my system , i'm always watching the audio industry for new and inovative ideas and concepts.

Bang & Olufsen has caught my attention latly with this really cool digital speaker array. The Beolab 5 is totaly new thinking thats well worth spending the time to read about.

Briefly without pasteing there website specs, the low down is as follows.

250 watt class d amps for treble and mid range plus 1000w amps each for upper and lower bass.

The acoustic lens use their elliptical shape plus the laws of physics to control the directivity of sound in both horizontal and vertical planes in a way never seen before.

Push a small button on top of the speaker and out pops a mic from below the unit.

Digital signal processing unit sends off a series of low frequent tones. The microphone intercepts the reflecting sound from 2 positions and after 2 minutes self adjusts each speaker to its room placement and acoustics.

These are dam " star wars speakers " lol

beolab.jpg

They are said to sound amazing !!!!!!!!! But they come with a price $$$

post-14566-13819253139902_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 2/28/2004 10:32:48 PM timbley wrote:

My impression was that they were best at high volume, where they sounded big and effortless. At lower volumes they sounded rather bland. I don't know how well broken in they were.

I've also had the oppertunity to listen to a pair , truely amazing pretty well sums it up.

Very room filling , almost like wearing headphones.

BTW. Little too rich for most.

I talked to the inventer of the horn lens and the man that talked b&o into building them. He had the speakers set up a a pro audio show in Wellesley mas last fall.

there was a 3 hour seminer on the whole concept of the new lens designe and speaker.

The speakers need no breakin in as they are factory set to the "Mother speaker" so all speaker sound the same.

If a replacement part is added the speaker can be hooked up to the via phone lines to the mother speaker in the factory and recailbrated. the speaker use the built in mike to cailabret the speakers for even bass between the two speakers. so one in a corner or one in a open room have the same bass responce. They are nice sounding speakers but I have a littel trouble with a speaker that converts all signal into digital as I think that really change the sound coming in. But if it was used for digital signal only its ok.

I talked about this new lens designed last november here the link http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=41413&forumID=71&catID=19&search=1&searchstring=&sessionID={B769CDC1-408B-4DF7-ABBE-125754949470}.

they are working on a compresion driver for this lens might work with khorns hmmm.

The Boston globe interview

http://www.boston.com/ae/music/articles/2004/02/03/a_sound_idea/.

For the price of a new car, they had better sound good.

Now I ask you, in reality, how good should $16K sound?

More than twice as good a new pair of Klipschorns (judging by price alone)?

I really can't imagine speakers that sound TWICE as good as Klipschorns... although it may be possible, I ain't heard 'em yet. Sounding different, yes, maybe even better at certain things, but certainly not overall twice as good.

I rest my case. But that don't mean that I know what I'm doing...

DM2.gif