Speaker cable question

MarvinG

Couple of questions (hopefully not asked to0 often before)

1) Anyone know of the quality of cables offered by AVCABLE.COM ? They are way cheaper then my dealer, and are descirbed as "12 AWG Oxygen Free Copper for maximum power transfer, and densely stranded conductors for superior flexibility. Available with a wide variety of connectors. "

2) Typically does one buy cables-with-connectors, like the above, or just the wire and manually add connectors? I typically do not terminate my own cables, but I seen installations where owners use simply use screw type connectors ( I can handle that!).So I'm just wondering is there any disadvantage in buuing the ready made variety? At the end of the day I need:

-1 x 6 foot cable - each terminated with 2 banana plugs at each end (for use with centre).

-2 x 20 foot cables - each terminated with 2 banana plugs at each end (for use with fronts).

- 2 x 50 foot cables, each terminated at each end with 2 banana plugs (for use with rear surrounds). 12 gauge.

-1 x 50 foot sub woofer cable, terminated with an RCA connector at each end.

3) What is a reasonable price to pay for the above? My dealer quoted me numbers that are a little scary to me.. eg a 20 foot cable alone above is $125CDN ($95 US); a 50 foot cable alone above is $200CDN ($150 US)

Many thanks

Marvin

Take a look in partexpress's soundking cables

like 100ft bulk for 30 bucks....... I got 200ft like 2weeks ago, I guess it'll be much cheaper than you shop around for similar size 9.gif .

Or take a look around..... many online stores sell cables cheaper than the local dealer. They just try to rip your money by accessories. Make your own cables with nice plugs gold plated whatever(if u steal some gold from your wife you can get them gold plated 11.gif )

----------------

On 3/2/2004 10:43:03 PM MarvinG wrote:

Couple of questions (hopefully not asked to0 often before)

1) Anyone know of the quality of cables offered by AVCABLE.COM ? They are way cheaper then my dealer, and are descirbed as "12 AWG Oxygen Free Copper for maximum power transfer, and densely stranded conductors for superior flexibility. Available with a wide variety of connectors. "

2) Typically does one buy cables-with-connectors, like the above, or just the wire and manually add connectors? I typically do not terminate my own cables, but I seen installations where owners use simply use screw type connectors ( I can handle that!).So I'm just wondering is there any disadvantage in buuing the ready made variety? At the end of the day I need:

-1 x 6 foot cable - each terminated with 2 banana plugs at each end (for use with centre).

-2 x 20 foot cables - each terminated with 2 banana plugs at each end (for use with fronts).

- 2 x 50 foot cables, each terminated at each end with 2 banana plugs (for use with rear surrounds). 12 gauge.

-1 x 50 foot sub woofer cable, terminated with an RCA connector at each end.

3) What is a reasonable price to pay for the above? My dealer quoted me numbers that are a little scary to me.. eg a 20 foot cable alone above is $125CDN ($95 US); a 50 foot cable alone above is $200CDN ($150 US)

Many thanks

Marvin

----------------

Marvin:

Ever use a crimper? That's all you need to put banana plugs on a speaker wire.

E-mail me through the forum and I'll get you some attractive prices on bulk wire and ends, or I can get you some pre-terminated stuff. Certainly a hella lot less than $4 a foot (what your dealer's quoting you) I also sell some good stout subwoofer cables for reasonable prices.

OK, some related questions...

1) Re a subwoofer cable, I noticed on the SVS site they give you the option to select, for example, a 15m silver serpent subwoofer cable from Better cables, for $75. When I go to he BetterCables site directly, the same cable is $140. Is that correct, ie does SVS cut you a big break on this?

2) How does a silver serpent subwoofer cable compare in quality to something like an ULTRALINK PLANTIMUM Subsonix - are they day-and-night difference or about the same? The Ultralink is less expensive but my question is more realted to quality than concerns over saving the $25 bucks!

3) What's the deal with Y connectors on the sub? I've read conflicting views on this. Some say connect only the left OR right, and some say connect left AND right, via the Y connector, to increase output. Others argue, no, suuch output could have been achieved by turning up the bass control making the Y connectors a non-issue. Others say the Y conenctor improves the auto-off function. So what's the common thing to do here? It does see kind of odd to only use one of a pair of connectors! And it's not a cost issue. Any harm in using both connectors? Benefits of using just the one connector?

4) For the balance of the wiring, if I dont go the ready made pre=terminated route, I essentially need a roll of high quality speaker wire ,given I need 160 feet or so in total; who are the typical suppliers ( I tired partexpress but thier site was busy), and what exactly should I be looking for re specifications?

Many thanks

Marvin

----------------

On 3/3/2004 5:02:03 PM Griffinator wrote:

Y-cabling is for multiple sub applications more than anything else. I replied to your PM, BTW.

----------------

people also use that to supposedly increase signal to the sub.

i only use ONE input.

avman.