Rear-firing RSW-10 radiator too close to wall?

whadyasay

Hello All,

I am considering getting a Klipsch RSW-10 sub, but I'm constricted by possible placement. The only place I can put it is along my front wall between my TV and the left front speaker, which is where my present sub is now. I live in a studio apt., so all my things are arranged as optimally as possible, so considering the 20" length of the RSW-10, it would put the rear-firing active speaker about 2-3" away from the wall. Any further out, and the RSW-10 would be in danger of getting tripped over, or becoming an extension of my coffee table (main listening/seating is 7' away from mains...again, not rearrangeable). Would I be better off with a front firing/ported design like the RW-12?

Wouldn't the user manual give you some kind of criteria as far as how far the rear mounted passive radiator should be from a wall? 2-4" seems kind of close, 6" may be do-able see what the user manual suggests as optimal placement from the wall or do an audible test and see if there are any differences.

It's only the radiator that is facing the wall. As long as you have the active driver facing outward, and the passive driver far enough away so that it's not hiting the wall when it punches, you should be fine with very little distortion. Just get it as far from the wall as is needed for the safety of the sub(or your wall for that matter). I would also consult the owners manual. It should have a suggestion.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. With the 20" depth of the RSW-10, I'd be looking at MAYBE 2" away from the wall, tops. Hence, I'm inclined to get a pure front-firing/front-ported design, as not to cause any turbulence or distortion against the back wall. The only thing is, the RW-12 is 21" deep! There's really no other place that I can put a sub without it blocking a doorway or moving something much bigger. I don't have the budget for some of the super-powered micro subs out there, and there's no way I'm putting a big black cylinder in there, either.

EDIT: Well, after some careful considerations in terms of layout and size, it looks like I'll be giving the Hsu VTF-2 a whirl. It's still 19" deep, but its ports are on the side (rather than the rear), and one of the configurations lets you plug up one of the two ports (the one on the left, in my case, as it would be about five inches away from the TV stand, as opposed to three feet from the side wall for the one on the right) for lower extension. From what I can gather, it's a very tight, accurate, and full-sounding sub. And I can return it if I don't like it. I'll update when I give it a go.

See? You've got a good amount of distance. I just don't think I could have the main radiator only two inches from a parallel surface and feel good about it, soundwise. Anyway, I'll be ordering a HSU STF-2 this week, so hopefully I'll be a happy camper. The JBL served me pretty well for about five years, but it was never really a clean-sounding sub, and right now, it feels like the weak link in my system, as I've been doing a lot more critical music listening....especially with SACD's. Yes, I have the bass management set correctly, took a while, but boy, is it worth it. SACD's are the real deal, folks.