bias adjustment

T2K

How long should a tube integrated be allowed to warm up before setting bias?

Will/should the reading change if set at say 30 minutes, then after 2 hours?

Just wondering. And thanks.

Keith

T2K, A really nice way to bias your tubes that was taught to me by an old tube master (my dad) many years ago and still seems very effective...let your amp settle in for about 10 minutes after turning on...bias the tubes to 10-15% BELOW desired mV level (e.g. 40mV target=32-36mV initial bias)...let settle in (another 10 min.) and re-bias to the recomended mV level. I have found that tubes tend to stay biased the longest using this method. Hope this helps, Mark.

----------------

On 3/6/2004 5:51:57 PM tubeglow wrote:

T2K, A really nice way to bias your tubes that was taught to me by an old tube master (my dad) many years ago and still seems very effective...let your amp settle in for about 10 minutes after turning on...bias the tubes to 10-15% BELOW desired mV level (e.g. 40mV target=32-36mV initial bias)...let settle in (another 10 min.) and re-bias to the recomended mV level. I have found that tubes tend to stay biased the longest using this method. Hope this helps, Mark.

----------------

Thanks for the post Mark. Sounds reasonable. Also generally reflects the settings I have encountered setting bias on my amp. IOW, bias reading down about 10% after 10 minute warmup, then slowly rises to desired setting.

I'll use your Dad's handy tip soon. Thanks again.

Keith

The important thing is what is bias at when the amp is completely warmed up ? The bias varies until the amp is completely warmed up. I generally do my final adjustment on my own amp after they have been on all day. Another valid concern is with brand new tubes they will vary for the first few weeks of use and should be checked until they have stabilized.

Craig

After about 10 minutes the reading is 386 mV and slowly rises to a dead 400/399 mV, which is as close as I can get it. Checked after 3 hours and again after about 6 hours and the reading is stable at the latter figure.

Keith

Thanks for all the replys.

It's stable all right Ryan. I've checked it several times and after several hours the setting is dead on. Totally quiet too. The thing sounds great, although I haven't yet decided just how it does sound to my ears. Works well with the Chorus II's though. Thanks for the great work on the restoration.

Also, the 222-C that Craig restored is a great package too. I have grown accoustomed to the sound of the 222-C and when I hear it I get this warm fuzzy feeling, like being back home. Just the sound that I like, although it appears that the 233 will give it a run for the money. We'll see.

Keith